Travelling is more than a luxury. It is a deep human need. It allows you to broaden your horizons, see the world in all its glory, challenge your preconceptions and become more tolerant. And don’t forget, it’s also extremely fun!
Many people have expressed their views on travelling over the years, from ancient Greek philosophers to major British playwrights. This is a selection of the 10 most inspirational travel quotes by Greek and foreign adventure lovers, for your reading pleasure.
1. “The first condition of understanding a foreign country is to smell it.” – Rudyard Kipling
2. “Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” – Maya Angelou
3.“To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” – Aldous Huxley
4. “Experience, travel – these are as education in themselves” – Euripides
5. ”Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
6.”A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.” – John Steinbeck
7.“Adventure is worthwhile.” – Aristotle
8. “If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness and fears.” – Cesare Pavese
9. “Not all those who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
10. “When you set sail for Ithaca, wish for the road to be long,full of adventures, full of knowledge.” C.P. Cavafy