The oil mill in Pitrofos, also known as the Pitrofos “vida”, is part of a two floors building and occupies a big part of the ground floor (“katogi”), while the home of the owner (“vidatoras” or “liotriviaris”) is at the upper floor. It is a fine example of a small pre-industrial, animal powered, olive oil producing unit. Many home units like this one were scattered in Andros highlands. There were still operational during the 60’s and, with their family business character, served the small local market. This specific oil mill presents something uncommon; it has many rooms, in contrast to most oil mills in Andros, where the whole procedure was confined in only one small room. The building dates back earlier than 1857. Various preserved elements, such as three mill stones, two stone milling-plates, and other structural details, prove that it was operational during 18th century. Moreover, in 1857 it was resold, together with the upper floor home, as a complete oil mill. With a well looked after facade and inner stonework, it presents interesting architectural elements, such as arches, domes, etc, common in rural Andros and generally characterizing the architectural functionality in Cycladic islands.
The museum with it’s equipment is an excellent sample of: a) Agricultural tradition, b) Preindustrial technology and c) Architectural tradition.
The museum offers a one-hour guided tour about the history and the function of the animal-powered olive mill every Sunday at noon. For group tours call Mr. Dimitris Chelmis at 6932731776