On Tuesday, September, 4, 2018, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Joseph F. Dunford, US Marine Corps, visited Hellenic National Defence General Staff (HNDGS) HQs, as part of his official visit to Greece.
During bilateral talks with HNDGS Chief, Admiral Evangelos Apostolakis HN, the international security environment, focused on East Mediterranean and MENA territory, was brought up. They also discussed the existing bilateral military cooperation in the domains of operational and individual training, special operations and information sharing.
HNDGS Chief underlined that:
- The bilateral military cooperation level is excellent.
- International synergies must be developed in dealing with the current security challenges.
- Hellenic Armed Forces contribute to force projection operations under UN mandates and within Euro-Atlantic frame.
- Greece fulfills its commitments in NATO and EU.
- Hellenic Armed Forces undertake initiatives to promote bilateral and multilateral military cooperation with states in the Balkans, North Africa and Middle East, focusing on the enhancement of the stability in the wider area.
- Souda Bay infrastructure has strategic significance.
- Turkish Armed Forces violate international law in Aegean and East Mediterranean.
During his stay in the HNDGS HQs, General Joseph F. Dunford, US MC, was also briefed on Greece’s defense policy and Hellenic Armed Forces main issues and priorities, and visited National Operations Center.