Chania lighthouse, the jewel of the city of, is one of the oldest lighthouses of the Mediterranean. It is a major attraction at the old port of Chania, standing at 21 meters in height and built in stone. It was first constructed by the Venetians around 1595-1601 at around 1839. the latest restoration was completed in 2006.
In 1864, the lighthouse was assigned to the French Company of Ottoman Lighthouses, and during the final years of the Turkish occupation, the staircase of the east side was constructed, in the entrance of the lighthouse tower. Recent renovations include the octagonal watch house with the small dome, and the water pipes under the base of the lighthouse.