×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
16
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 16°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> Civilization

Searching for a toilet, Australian stumbles across a 49,000-year-old Aboriginal settlement

One of the most important sites in Australian prehistory

Newsroom November 4 01:57

An Australian man in search of a toilet while surveying gorges in an area 550 kilometres north of  Adelaide, accidentally stumbled across the oldest-known evidence of an Aboriginal settlement in existence.

The site, discovered by Adnyamathanha elder Clifford Coulthard, bears evidence that Aboriginal Australians settled there 49,000 years ago — at least 10,000 years earlier than previously believed.

The settlement, also known as Warratyi, provides the first reliably-dated evidence of human interaction with large or giant animals known as megafauna.

Giles Hamm, a consultant archaeologist, lead author and doctoral student at La Trobe University who discovered the site together with Mr. Coulthard, admitted that initially, the pair of researchers had no idea of the importance of their find.

Among their discoveries were bones from the extinct giant wombat-like Diprotodon optatum, as well as eggs from an ancient giant bird.

Hamm’s co-author, Professor Gavin Prideaux, said that these discoveries were evidence that humans were not responsible for the extinction of megafauna, as previously believed.  “The find undermines one of the supposed pillars of support for climate change, not humans, causing the extinctions, because the site shows (that) humans lived alongside these animals and hunted them,” he said.

>Related articles

Kyriakos Mitsotakis met with Archbishop Makarios of Australia

Community celebration fills Capitol Theater for UNESCO World Greek Language Day

Hellenic Heritage: The new digital hub connecting visitors with 350 archaeological sites and museums

He also said that this chance discovery “smashed several paradigms about Indigenous Australians.”

Evidence shows that the Aborigines were one of the oldest populations in the world, and that they didn’t take 10,000 years to reach the southern part of the continent from the north, as was believed up until now.

Clifford Coulthard , who discovered the settlement, says that both he and the Adnyamathanha people, are proud and happy about the discovery.  “It was the spirits who showed me the road,”  he said.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Aborigines#Adnyamathanha#archaeology#australia#civilization#Clifford Coulthard#Diprotodon optatum#Gavin Prideaux#Giles Hamm#indigenous Australians#La Trobe University#megafauna#prehistory#Warratyi
> More Civilization

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Taxis tomorrow (17/2): Drivers’ strike in Attica through Thursday

February 16, 2026

American Hellenic Institute leadership attends 2026 leadership 100 conference

February 16, 2026

Nikos Plakias speaks to Protothema: The pressure, xylene, Karystianou, and the last photo of the girls from inside the train

February 16, 2026

Second wave of acquisitions in education: Foreign funds now investing in private schools across Greece’s regions

February 16, 2026

Adonis Georgiades filed a lawsuit against Zoe Konstantopoulou at Evelpidon

February 16, 2026

The Kremlin “categorically rejects” the finding on the murder of Navalny with poison

February 16, 2026

Britain too is considering banning social media use for children under 16

February 16, 2026

Robeson Reeves: Our plan is paying off, scale and size are an advantage

February 16, 2026
All News

> Greece

Taxis tomorrow (17/2): Drivers’ strike in Attica through Thursday

Nationwide, taxis will not operate on Tuesday and Wednesday – What drivers are demanding

February 16, 2026

Nikos Plakias speaks to Protothema: The pressure, xylene, Karystianou, and the last photo of the girls from inside the train

February 16, 2026

Second wave of acquisitions in education: Foreign funds now investing in private schools across Greece’s regions

February 16, 2026

The Belgian seller to protothema: Why I withdrew from eBay the photos of the 200 executed people of Kaisariani

February 16, 2026

The first person from the photos of the 200 executed in Kaisariani has been identified – To which Nazi officer they are attributed

February 16, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα