×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
16
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 15°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Parents sue highschool for not allowing daughter to paly on boy’s basketball team

7th grader wants to play on boy's team

Newsroom December 23 07:39

Parents of a 7th grader in the US are suing their daughter’s high school for not allowing her to play on the boy’s basketball team. As reported in nj.com.

As a sixth-grader last year, Sydney Phillips earned a spot on the girls basketball team at St. Theresa’s School in Kenilworth. By the end of the season, she was picked as an all-star player.
This year, however, Phillips learned in October that St. Theresa’s was dropping the team because not enough girls were interested. Phillips and her parents quickly approached the school, seeking some options and finally requesting their daughter be allowed to play on the boys team.
After meeting with several school officials, without success, Sydney’s father, Scott Phillips, decided to take it to another step. He filed a suit against the school and the Archdiocese of Newark seeking that they be required to allow his daughter to play on the seventh-grade boys team.
“I’m not looking for money. I just want her to play basketball,” Scott Phillips said.
His daughter, he said, has hopes of playing the game in high school and college.
“She’s a good player,” the father said. “We’re not saying she’ll be the best player. She’s a good player. She works hard and she wants to play.”
The family interest in the sport runs deep, as Scott Phillips’ wife, Theresa, was the coach for the St. Theresa’s girls team.
In the lawsuit, Phillips says the school and the archdiocese do not have a specific rule prohibiting Sydney from playing on the boys team.
St. Theresa’s, in the legal brief responding to the lawsuit, states Sydney Phillips’ application to play on the boys team was filed late, a claim Scott Phillips says is not true.

more at: nj.com

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#baskeball#boys#girl#highschool#parents#sue#team
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Over 70 non-governmental organisations oppose the European migration reform plan

February 16, 2026

The great Byzantinologist Eleni Glykatzi-Arveler died at the age of 99

February 16, 2026

Alexis Tsipras presents “Ithaki” in Larissa today

February 16, 2026

Greece–Turkey in “calm waters” until the elections, following the Mitsotakis–Erdogan meeting in Ankara

February 16, 2026

Kilauea Volcano erupted again: the lava jets reached 400 metres, see video

February 16, 2026

Logan Paul sold a rare Pokemon card for the astronomical sum of $16.5 million

February 16, 2026

Papastavrou: We are ushering in a new era of national confidence and determination, becoming a major energy exporter

February 16, 2026

Taxis tomorrow (17/2): Drivers’ strike in Attica through Thursday

February 16, 2026
All News

> World

Over 70 non-governmental organisations oppose the European migration reform plan

Among their main concerns are, in particular, the plans to create detention centers outside EU borders for those individuals whose asylum applications are rejected

February 16, 2026

Kilauea Volcano erupted again: the lava jets reached 400 metres, see video

February 16, 2026

Logan Paul sold a rare Pokemon card for the astronomical sum of $16.5 million

February 16, 2026

The Kremlin “categorically rejects” the finding on the murder of Navalny with poison

February 16, 2026

Britain too is considering banning social media use for children under 16

February 16, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα