×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Wednesday
18
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 12°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

G-20 Forges Trade compromise as U.S. Tariff threat lingers

Trump is weighing whether to impose tariffs & quotason steel imports under national security grounds

Newsroom July 8 05:26

World leaders reached a compromise on trade at the Group of 20 summit as officials agreed to fight protectionism while tacitly recognizing U.S. President Donald Trump’s concerns about excess steel capacity and what he says are unfair trade practices.

Hours after the agreement was struck early on Saturday, the final statement nonetheless left the U.S. isolated on climate change, according to officials from three G-20 countries. At the same time, the statement refers to the use of “trade defense instruments,” leaving the shadow of tariffs hanging over the world.

Talks ran into a major rift over global economic policy on Friday as Trump, who spent much of his election campaign complaining about “unfair” trade hurting the U.S., held firm to his America First doctrine. G-20 officials are concerned about a trade war over steel as Trump gears up for a decision on whether to impose punitive tariffs amid ongoing complaints about dumping on global markets.

trp

German Chancellor Angela Merkel, the summit’s host, said Friday that leaders need to find a common solution to steel overproduction, otherwise the risk of “bilateral actions” increases. In its communique, the G-20 pledged renewed efforts to combat excess capacity in the steel industry, according to a leaked copy of the text.

“We will keep markets open, noting the importance of reciprocal and mutually advantageous trade and investment frameworks,” according to the draft statement. The G-20 will “continue to fight protectionism including all unfair trade practices and recognize the rule of legitimate trade defense instruments in this regard.”

Trump’s administration is weighing whether to impose tariffs, quotas or a combination of both on steel imports under national security grounds through Section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act, even though only a fraction of U.S. steel is used for defense. Trump’s Commerce Department launched its review in April, missed a self-imposed deadline for a decision last month and is expected to announce a verdict soon.

“We stand united in opposition to protectionism, that I think will be a positive outcome from this meeting,” Canadian Finance Minister Bill Morneau told reporters in Hamburg. “What I believe to be the case is we all recognize the importance of trade to our economies, the importance of trade to growth, and the difficulties protectionism presents. That’s a subject that has reached consensus.”

The final statement underlined Trump’s lone stand on climate change, saying that all G-20 members except for the U.S. “state that the Paris Agreement is irreversible,” according to several officials.

In the statement, the U.S. announced that “it will immediately cease the implementation of its current nationally-determined contribution and affirms its strong commitment to an approach that lowers emissions while supporting economic growth and improving energy security needs.”

The first day of the two-day summit was marred by disagreement on free trade and climate change as Trump’s protectionist stance was blamed by other participants for causing an impasse. During a working lunch, Trump stressed that he would always defend the American worker, according to a western diplomatic official familiar with the closed-door session.

French President Emmanuel Macron challenged Trump’s view that the U.S. is losing out on trade, the official said. Taking out his mobile phone, Macron said that when he bought it, he created a trade deficit with the U.S., but that when America built it, it created a trade deficit with China. His point was that it doesn’t make sense to talk about bilateral trade deficits in a multilateral world, the official said.

>Related articles

Three dead, including the trans gunman, in shooting at a hockey arena in Rhode Island

Jesse Jackson: Civil rights activist and reverend dies at 84

The “X-ray” of the 4 Chevron hydrocarbon contracts: Investments up to €1 billion, public revenues up to 40%

The exchange illustrates the world’s struggle to come to terms with the Trump era and his administration’s determination to remold the postwar global consensus in favor of the U.S. The last major summit, of G-7 leaders in May, ended with the U.S. isolated on climate change.

Saturday’s sessions were dedicated to tackling migration and a “partnership with Africa,” digitalization, empowering women and employment.

Source

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Angela Merkel#France#G-20#germany#Macron#President Donald Trump#usa
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Canadian mining company suspends operations in Cuba due to fuel shortage

February 17, 2026

Testimonies about Violanta: Since early December, the owner had been searching for the leak with a plumber without a license – Read shocking employee accounts

February 17, 2026

Weather: Rain and thunderstorms again on Friday, noticeable drop in temperature over the weekend, clear skies on Clean Monday

February 17, 2026

Pierrakakis: The international role of the euro is the strategic response to the economic challenges facing Europe

February 17, 2026

Mitsotakis in India on Wednesday and Thursday, meeting with Prime Minister Modi

February 17, 2026

40-year record for Mediterranean monk seal births in Greece – watch the video

February 17, 2026

Which Greek island ranks among the world’s 13 top destinations for slow travel

February 17, 2026

Court “halts” telemarketing: €50,000 compensation for nuisance calls

February 17, 2026
All News

> Greece

Testimonies about Violanta: Since early December, the owner had been searching for the leak with a plumber without a license – Read shocking employee accounts

Everyone knew, those responsible discussed it, management did nothing – This is the conclusion drawn from the testimonies of employees at the Violanta factory presented by protothema.gr

February 17, 2026

Weather: Rain and thunderstorms again on Friday, noticeable drop in temperature over the weekend, clear skies on Clean Monday

February 17, 2026

Court “halts” telemarketing: €50,000 compensation for nuisance calls

February 17, 2026

“I am the boss and you will do what I tell you”: The chilling testimony of the plumber who installed the pipe at the Violanta factory

February 17, 2026

A man of shadows: The wing commander who spied for China is stripped of his Greek citizenship

February 17, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα