×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Sunday
24
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 23°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

France’s armed forces chief resigns after clash with Macron over budget cuts

The departure of France's most senior soldier also highlighted the stresses of a major military power

Newsroom July 19 05:33

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

France’s armed forces chief resigned on Wednesday in a dispute with Emmanuel Macron over defense budget cuts, an early test of the newly elected president’s mettle and the tough presidential style he is cultivating.

In a statement, 60 year-old Pierre de Villiers said he had tried to keep the armed forces fit for an ever more difficult task within the financial constraints imposed on it, but was no longer able to sustain that.

“In the current circumstances I see myself as no longer able to guarantee the robust defense force I believe is necessary to guarantee the protection of France and the French people, today and tomorrow, and to sustain the aims of our country,” he said.

f2

Macron moved quickly to replace de Villiers, appointing General Francois Lecointre, 55, to fill the role, a military source said.

The departure of France’s most senior soldier also highlighted the stresses of a major military power as it battles Islamist insurgencies in Africa, partners with allies in Middle East conflicts, and patrols the streets at home in response to a series of jihadist attacks on French soil.

It followed a fierce row last week between the two men just two months after Macron was elected, and just as France prepared for the military pomp of a July 14 Bastille Day parade where Macron’s U.S. counterpart Donald Trump was the guest of honor.

De Villiers, appearing before a closed-door hearing of parliamentarians, had used strong language to protest at the 850 million euro ($980 million) defense budget cut Macron was making as part of his efforts to rein in state spending.

Macron quickly went public with a rebuke, saying: “I have made commitments. I am your boss.”

‘Almost Erdoganism’

The stand-off fits with a tough style cultivated by the 39 year-old new head of state and commander-in-chief whose powers under the French constitution go further than those of any other western democratic leader.

He has described his own role as one that rides above day-to-day controversies, at the same time controlling tightly ministers’ public statements and insisting on total loyalty from them and other government officials.

f1

“It’s clear today that the executive cannot bear a situation where its top public servants have a view of things that is different from the political view put together by the Elysee,” General Vincent Desportes, former head of France’s top main military school, told Reuters.

“It’s not Erdoganism, but its not far off,” he added in a reference to the Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, who faces accusations from opposition leaders of being a dictator in the aftermath of last year’s failed military coup.

An Elysee source reaffirmed Macron’s position on Wednesday.

>Related articles

Sweden has chosen the Belharra frigates for its navy and will purchase four from France

French Health Minister: It is not certain whether the hantavirus strain has mutated

Why Turkey feels “encircled” by Greece, Israel and France

“We cannot have public disagreement. That’s how our institutions have to work,” the source said.

“These economies will in no way jeopardize France’s operational capacity. France’s security is assured.”

Source

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Erdoganism#France#General Chief of Staff#Macron#resigns
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

EuroLeague Final Four: Olympiacos ready tonight for “checkmate” against “Queen” Real Madrid & the conquest of the throne of European basketball

May 24, 2026

Elections in Cyprus: 569,182 voters elect 56 MPs today for the next five-year term

May 24, 2026

On the brink of a peace agreement to end the US–Iran war: Key issues on nuclear program and uranium remain open

May 24, 2026

Mitsotakis: Extension of “My Home II” until the end of August, what he said about spatial planning, KYSEA & Olympiacos

May 24, 2026

Gunman killed near White House, Trump says he had violent history and obsession with presidency

May 24, 2026

Yannis Smaragdis against Christopher Nolan over “The Odyssey”: “If he’s doing it for the Oscars, it’s disgraceful”

May 24, 2026

Iron Maiden shook OAKA in front of tens of thousands of fans (videos-photos)

May 24, 2026

Fines for late tax filings are being abolished – Who will receive retroactive refunds covering two years

May 24, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα