×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
16
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 15°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> Sports

Floyd Mayweather stops Conor McGregor in 10th round as Irishman fades late (VIDEOS-PHOTOS)

Mayweather left the ring for the final time Saturday a winner once more, capping a brilliant career

Newsroom August 27 12:47

For weeks, odds on the Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor kept dropping as bettors relentlessly put their money on the Irishman who holds the UFC lightweight championship belt.

Though record amounts were bet – the William Hill sports books reported early Saturday that total handle on the bout had already doubled the 2015 record set between Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao – it was all for naught.

Mayweather left the ring for the final time Saturday a winner once more, capping a brilliant career by going to 50-0 with a one-sided and dominating victory at T-Mobile Arena. He stopped McGregor at 1:05 of the 10th round, landing a series of unanswered blows that forced referee Robert Byrd to jump between them.

Aug 26, 2017; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Floyd Mayweather Jr. lands a hit against Conor McGregor during a boxing match at T-Mobile Arena. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

“I think we gave the world a heck of a fight,” Mayweather said in the ring after the fight. “It was the same gameplan. I wanted to stay going straight ahead. I thought if I stayed going straight ahead I would be able to get him. I really wanted to get him.”

Judges had it 87-83, 89-81 and 89-82 for Mayweather at the time of the stoppage. Yahoo Sports had it 87-84 for Mayweather.

The unique match between a boxer and a mixed martial artist drew massive worldwide attention and the fight more than lived up to the billing. McGregor did well, not looking all that out of place and competing on more than even terms early.

Mayweather, who has defeated two boxers (Oscar De La Hoya and Arturo Gatti) already in the International Boxing Hall of Fame, put the cap on his legendary career with his first knockout since he caught Victor Ortiz in 2011 while Ortiz looked away.

McGregor tired from the relentless flood of right hands from Mayweather and was all but on empty by the time the 10th started.

m3

Mayweather landed a blistering straight right that sent McGregor staggering back into the ropes. McGregor was woozy and wobbly and Mayweather landed a hook and followed it with a right.

Mayweather, who landed 170 of 320 of his punches, had McGregor in serious jeopardy when Byrd jumped in.

“I owed the fans for that [Manny] Pacquiao fight and so I had to go straight at him,” Mayweather said.

McGregor’s gas tank was an issue coming into the fight and it proved to be his undoing. While he did far better than anyone expected – he looked much like a seasoned boxer despite only training in the sport for about nine months – but he wasn’t able to keep his wind in the second half.

m1

According to CompuBox ShoStats, Mayweather outlanded McGregor 130-60 in Rounds 6 through 10 after McGregor had a 51-40 edge through the first five rounds.

“In MMA, they only fight 25 minutes,” Mayweather said.

Mayweather, who slipped past legendary heavyweight champion Rocky Marciano by winning his 50th bout without a loss or a draw, announced his retirement in the ring.

“This was my last fight, ladies and gentlemen,” Mayweather said.

McGregor was his usual witty and affable self after the bout, but he also paid respect to his opponent.

“He was so composed,” McGregor said. “He’s not that powerful, but boy is he composed.”

McGregor didn’t seem to take the knockout hard. He said, “I got strangled on TV before and I came back.”

>Related articles

The first person from the photos of the 200 executed in Kaisariani has been identified – To which Nazi officer they are attributed

New questions about Epstein’s death: Coroner speaks of “possible strangulation” and calls for a review

The Metro tunnel boring machine “Athena” arrives at Evangelismos with The Doors’ “Break on Through” for Line 4 expansion (video)

McGregor said he felt the fight should have been allowed to continue – “Let me go down. Let him put me down,” he said – but he seemed pleased enough with his performance.

He also said “of course” he would return to the UFC.

Source

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#boxing#conor mcgregor#fight#floyd mayweather#Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor#las vegas#MMA#photos#post match#Press Conference#sports#video
> More Sports

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Nikos Plakias speaks to Protothema: The pressure, xylene, Karystianou, and the last photo of the girls from inside the train

February 16, 2026

Second wave of acquisitions in education: Foreign funds now investing in private schools across Greece’s regions

February 16, 2026

Adonis Georgiades filed a lawsuit against Zoe Konstantopoulou at Evelpidon

February 16, 2026

The Kremlin “categorically rejects” the finding on the murder of Navalny with poison

February 16, 2026

Britain too is considering banning social media use for children under 16

February 16, 2026

Robeson Reeves: Our plan is paying off, scale and size are an advantage

February 16, 2026

Erdogan’s visit to Abu Dhabi postponed, what did the Turkish president invoke?

February 16, 2026

Warner Bros is considering re-entering talks with Paramount: What this means for Netflix

February 16, 2026
All News

> Greece

Nikos Plakias speaks to Protothema: The pressure, xylene, Karystianou, and the last photo of the girls from inside the train

Three years after Tempe, Nikos Plakias opens his home for the first time and speaks to Protothema — “Unfortunately, they painted the train blue, red, green,” “I will neither bring down nor raise governments."

February 16, 2026

Second wave of acquisitions in education: Foreign funds now investing in private schools across Greece’s regions

February 16, 2026

The Belgian seller to protothema: Why I withdrew from eBay the photos of the 200 executed people of Kaisariani

February 16, 2026

The first person from the photos of the 200 executed in Kaisariani has been identified – To which Nazi officer they are attributed

February 16, 2026

Brief spell of severe weather on Tuesday with strong thunderstorms: What’s behind the shift after yesterday’s southerly winds and dust

February 16, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα