×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Thursday
19
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 11°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Alyssa Milano hashtag “Me too” on sexual harassment goes viral

Currently trending on Twitter and Instagram

Newsroom October 17 11:04

In the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal, a new viral social media hashtag is aiming to give a voice to women who have survived sexual assault and harrassment.
The hashtag “Me too,” which is currently trending on Twitter and Instagram, was started by former Charmed actress Alyssa Milano. The 44-year-old issued a call to arms on social media, urging women to speak up about their experiences of sexual harassment and assault. She asked women to reply to her tweet and Instagram post by replying “Me too.” Alternatively, women could post the same response on Facebook.

me1
“If all the women who have ever been sexually harassed or assaulted wrote ‘Me too.’ as a status, then we give people a sense of the magnitude of the problem,” she wrote, explaining she got the idea from a friend.

>Related articles

Britain too is considering banning social media use for children under 16

Conflict in Britain between Starmer and the owner of Manchester United: “We’ve become a colony of immigrants”, “make a public apology”

The Commission targets TikTok for its addictive design that harms children

me2
Since her post, the hashtag has quickly gone viral, with up to four women a second taking to Twitter and Instagram to respond.
So far the tweet has received over 31K comments, while thousands of others have also updated their status on Facebook to “Me too.
The movement has also generated responses from some celebrities, including Anna Paquin, Selma Blair, Debra Messing, and Anika Noni Rose.

me3
Westworld actress Evan Rachel Wood added her voice to the cause as well.
“Being raped once made it easier to be raped again. I instinctually shut down. My body remembered, so it protected me. I disappeared. #metoo” she tweeted.
Milano has previously spoken out against film producer Harvey Weinstein as women have come forward and made sexual assault allegations against him.
“While I am sickened and angered over the disturbing accusations of Weinstein’s sexual predation and abuse of power, I’m happy — ecstatic even — that it has opened up a dialogue around the continued sexual harassment, objectification, and degradation of women,” she said earlier.
It isn’t the first hashtag women have used since news of the Weinstein scandal broke. On Friday, #WomenBoycottTwitter was the top trend, with many women choosing to log off for 24 hours.
Milano was one of the first responders to the protest, which was started by her fellow Charmed alum Rose McGowan, who has spoken out about her own experiences at the hands of Weinstein.

source: yahoo.com

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Alyssa Milano#Harvey Weinstein#hashtag#me too#sexual harassment#social media#twitter
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

The owner of “Violanda” in Trikala prison: the crucial questions about the propane leak and the “line” of the apology

February 19, 2026

“Ark of the World”: Father Antonios and four other defendants guilty of physical abuse of children

February 19, 2026

The battle of LNG: How we came to the Motor Oil – DESFA rift over the FSRU in Corinth

February 19, 2026

The breathtaking road that seems to float on water— A gateway to the “Polynesia of Greece”

February 19, 2026

Unacceptable oil embargo on Cuba by the U.S., says Putin

February 18, 2026

Owner of Violanta, Konstantinos Tziortziotis, remanded in custody after five-hour testimony

February 18, 2026

Hoxha’s secret naval base inside a mountain in Albania, the clash with the Russians, and the theft of the submarines

February 18, 2026

Ten centuries-old olive trees in New Heraklion, Attica

February 18, 2026
All News

> World

Unacceptable oil embargo on Cuba by the U.S., says Putin

The supply of oil to the largest Caribbean island, with a population of nearly 11 million, has dropped dramatically over the past two months

February 18, 2026

Hoxha’s secret naval base inside a mountain in Albania, the clash with the Russians, and the theft of the submarines

February 18, 2026

Bulgaria holds early parliamentary elections on 19 April, eighth in five years

February 18, 2026

Washington moves closer to declaring war on Iran, even immediately: “Trump’s patience is running out”

February 18, 2026

At least 38 killed in mine explosion in Nigeria

February 18, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα