×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Wednesday
19
Aug 2026
weather symbol
Athens 25°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Ratko Mladic trial verdict set for November 22

Mladic, now 74, has had several serious health problems while in detention & suffered two strokes & one heart attack

Newsroom November 13 04:55

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

The UN war crimes tribunal for the former Yugoslavia on Wednesday named November 22 as the date for the first-instance verdict in the trial of Bosnian Serb military chief Ratko Mladic.

Mladic is charged with genocide in Srebrenica in 1995 and six other Bosnian municipalities in 1992, persecution of the non-Serb population throughout Bosnia and Herzegovina, terrorising the residents of Sarajevo and taking UN peacekeepers hostage.

He was arrested in 2011 after having been on the run for more than a decade, and proceedings began in June that year. In their closing statement, the Hague prosecutors asked the court to sentence Mladic to life imprisonment, while the defence called for his acquittal.

His lawyers recently said they will soon ask the court to grant Mladic temporary release for medical treatment in Serbia, after Belgrade promised it would offer guarantees that the former Bosnian Serb Army chief would return to his trial.

Mladic, now 74, has had several serious health problems while in detention and suffered two strokes and one heart attack.

His lawyers say that his condition further deteriorated in May this year. They insist that he needs to undergo hospital treatment due to the risk of a new stroke or heart attack.

The defence requested in March that Mladic be granted temporary release and allowed to go to Russia, but the court rejected the request, fearing he might not return.

Vojislav Seselj appeal set for December 13

In a separate announcement on Wednesday, the Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals set the hearing for the prosecution appeal against the acquittal of Serbian Radical Party leader Vojislav Seselj for December 13.

The prosecution will have an hour to present its appeal and the defence will have an hour to respond to it.

Seselj has said he will not attend and the court has appointed a legal representative for him.

>Related articles

Russia reportedly rearming Iran via Caspian Sea with TNT, ammunition and drone components

Trump: “The primary objective was, is, and always will be to ensure that Iran does not acquire a nuclear weapon”

Meta faces trial that could reshape Facebook and Instagram as 30 US states seek over $1 trillion

On March 31 last year, the tribunal acquitted Seselj, by a majority vote, of responsibility for crimes against non-Serbs in Croatia, Vojvodina in Serbia and Bosnia and Herzegovina.

In its appeal, the prosecution asked the court to quash the acquittal verdict, pronounce Seselj guilty and sentence him to 28 years in prison.

Source: balkaninsight.com

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#army#Bosnian Serb#charged#former Yugoslavia#Genocide#heart-attack#military#Ratko Mladic#Srebrenica#stroke#trial#UN#UN war crimes tribunal#verdict#war
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Two arrests for fires in Trikala and Karystos

August 19, 2026

Oil: Third straight day of gains and three-week high amid US-Iran deadlock; Brent above $91

August 19, 2026

ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard dies at 77

August 19, 2026

The billionaires’ mega-luxury bunkers in the Swiss Alps: storing valuable assets 100 meters underground

August 18, 2026

Turkey provokes Greece: 25 violations of Greek airspace and mock dogfight over the Aegean

August 18, 2026

“I was ashamed to be a Turkish Cypriot”: Former MEP apologises over the killings of Isaak and Solomou

August 18, 2026

IVF scandal in occupied northern Cyprus: British parents chose donors, but DNA tests told a different story

August 18, 2026

Greek islands became world-famous film locations decades before movie tourism took off

August 18, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα