×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Thursday
21
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 19°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Migrants heading toward US border blame organizers for risks of journey

The organizers are also accused of misleading caravan migrants about how long they would have to wait on the Mexican side of the border to apply for asylum

Newsroom December 24 02:38

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

 

Pueblo Sin Fronteras, a group of activists escorting the migrant caravan of thousands of Central Americans traveling to the U.S., is being blamed by many — including the migrants themselves — for encouraging such a risky trek.

The group, which is comprised of about 40 U.S. and Mexican activists, gave the caravan an option in October. The migrants were asked whether they wanted to continue to the U.S. southern border or stop in Mexico, where the government offered to let them stay.

Pueblo Sin Fronteras, or People Without Borders, warned the migrants the offer might be too good to be true and called on a voice vote — to which the crowd yelled to keep moving toward the U.S.

Since then, former allies and some migrants have said the group downplayed the risks involved, particularly for those with families and small children.

>Related articles

Tehran considers a new US proposal after the visit of the Pakistani mediator

Trump on Iran: Either we’ll finish it or they will sign an agreement

EU–US tariff deal: Temporary agreement to cut duties seen as “step toward balanced transatlantic trade,” says von der Leyen

The organizers also were accused of misleading caravan migrants about how long they would have to wait on the Mexican side of the border to apply for asylum.

Irineo Mujica, a leader among the caravan organizers, rejected the criticism, telling The Associated Press that the group’s “commitment first and foremost was protecting the lives of migrants and giving them as much information as possible.”

Read more HERE

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#caravan#danger#illegal immigrants#usa#wall
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Thyranoixia of the Saint Tychon Parish in Luleå, Sweden

May 20, 2026

Tehran considers a new US proposal after the visit of the Pakistani mediator

May 20, 2026

Eurostat: Inflation in Greece confirmed at 4.6% in April

May 20, 2026

Trump on Iran: Either we’ll finish it or they will sign an agreement

May 20, 2026

Dendias: Ukraine owes a big apology for the drone, I am not among those who have believed the narrative of “calm waters”

May 20, 2026

“Life of Byron”opens at the Greek Center next week

May 20, 2026

Speech by Mitsotakis at the event on public transport in Athens

May 20, 2026

The real estate market: How much the boundless, ultra-luxurious blue of the Aegean and Ionian costs

May 20, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα