×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
16
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 16°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

New Zealand reported a decline in new coronavirus cases for the fourth consecutive day

The country is still tightening its border restrictions

Newsroom April 10 06:20

New Zealand has managed to do something that many countries wish they could achieve: for four straight days, it has reported a decline in new coronavirus cases.

On Thursday, the country reported 29 new confirmed and probable cases, bringing New Zealand’s total to 1,239 – including only one death. Of those cases, only 14 are in hospital – and 317 have recovered.

New Zealand, a small island country with a population of just under 5 million, is halfway through a month-long lockdown aimed at not only containing the virus, but eliminating it.
And so far, the approach appears to be successful.
“We are turning a corner,” Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said in a speech Thursday. “And your commitment means our plan is working”.
See Also:

Turkish Coast Guards attack migrants in boat in the middle of the sea (video)

For other countries, those positive signs might be a reason to lift restrictions. Denmark, which has at least 5,597 cases and 218 deaths, announced it will begin to lift its lockdown next week if cases remain stable.
Instead, Ardern said Thursday she was tightening border restrictions, meaning all those who arrive in the country will be required to spend two weeks quarantined in an approved facility, rather than self-isolating at home. The rule only applies to New Zealanders – foreign nationals have been banned from entering the country since March 20.
Read more: CNN

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#coronavirus#COVID-19#new zealand#quarantine#world
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Kilauea Volcano erupted again: the lava jets reached 400 metres, see video

February 16, 2026

Logan Paul sold a rare Pokemon card for the astronomical sum of $16.5 million

February 16, 2026

Papastavrou: We are ushering in a new era of national confidence and determination, becoming a major energy exporter

February 16, 2026

Taxis tomorrow (17/2): Drivers’ strike in Attica through Thursday

February 16, 2026

American Hellenic Institute leadership attends 2026 leadership 100 conference

February 16, 2026

Nikos Plakias speaks to Protothema: The pressure, xylene, Karystianou, and the last photo of the girls from inside the train

February 16, 2026

Second wave of acquisitions in education: Foreign funds now investing in private schools across Greece’s regions

February 16, 2026

Adonis Georgiades filed a lawsuit against Zoe Konstantopoulou at Evelpidon

February 16, 2026
All News

> Greece

Taxis tomorrow (17/2): Drivers’ strike in Attica through Thursday

Nationwide, taxis will not operate on Tuesday and Wednesday – What drivers are demanding

February 16, 2026

Nikos Plakias speaks to Protothema: The pressure, xylene, Karystianou, and the last photo of the girls from inside the train

February 16, 2026

Second wave of acquisitions in education: Foreign funds now investing in private schools across Greece’s regions

February 16, 2026

The Belgian seller to protothema: Why I withdrew from eBay the photos of the 200 executed people of Kaisariani

February 16, 2026

The first person from the photos of the 200 executed in Kaisariani has been identified – To which Nazi officer they are attributed

February 16, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα