×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Wednesday
18
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 14°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

A paralyzed man with a severed spinal cord walked again thanks to an implant (videos-photo)

However, he clarified that more clinical trials are needed before it can be considered an effective treatment

Newsroom February 7 11:02

Five years ago he had a motorcycle accident. He has been paralyzed since then, having suffered a ruptured spinal cord.

And now, thanks to an implant from Swiss scientists, he has been able to walk again.

Michel Roccati, according to a BBC report, managed to take his first steps.

It is the first time that someone with a total spinal cord rupture manages to walk again.

The same technology has improved the life of another paralyzed patient, who managed to become a father.

The study was published in the journal Nature Medecine. Roccati was very seriously injured. He could not feel anything from the waste down.

Scientists have surgically attached an electrical implant to the patient’s spine and he can now walk, which, according to the BBC, has not been achieved so far.

The researchers point out that there is no cure for spinal cord injury. The technology they have developed remains sophisticated to use in everyday life. However, it is still a big step in improving the quality of life.

The patient, however, considers technology “a gift for him,” as he told the BBC.

“I stand up, I walk where I want, I can walk up the stairs, it’s almost a normal life”.

In addition to technology, Michel’s recovery was also helped by his determination. The young Italian was determined to go on and on as much as he could.

“I liked boxing, running and do fitness programs. But after the accident, I could not do things I loved. However, I did not let it take me down. I never stopped the rehab. I wanted to solve the problem”, he said.

The speed of the young Italian’s recovery also impressed the neurosurgeon who introduced the implant, the professor of the Neurotherapy and Neuromodification Laboratory, Jocelyne Block.

“I was surprised. He is unbelievable. He must  be able to use technology to progress and become better and better”.

See Also:

Incredible Spaniard Tik Toker speaks and sings perfect Greek (videos)

>Related articles

Bulgaria holds early parliamentary elections on 19 April, eighth in five years

Washington moves closer to declaring war on Iran, even immediately: “Trump’s patience is running out”

At least 38 killed in mine explosion in Nigeria

The study was supported by Dr Ram Hariharan, a consultant at Sheffield General Hospital, who works with the research team. “They achieved something that has never happened before” he said.

However, he clarified that more clinical trials are needed before it can be considered an effective treatment.

The spinal cord has been completely cut in Michel’s case. But the implant sends signals directly to his feet, allowing him to walk, but only when the implant is activated. So far, nine people have received the implant and regained the ability to walk. In any case, the implant is complicated at this stage to be used in everyday life, as they use it for practicing walking.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#accident#brain#implant#medicine#spinal cord#world
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

The photos of the execution of the 200 in Kaisariani are authentic; declared a monument by the Ministry of Culture, opening the way for their acquisition

February 18, 2026

Bulgaria holds early parliamentary elections on 19 April, eighth in five years

February 18, 2026

Kaklamanis: Parliament will hire one of the 12 children of a large family

February 18, 2026

Washington moves closer to declaring war on Iran, even immediately: “Trump’s patience is running out”

February 18, 2026

At least 38 killed in mine explosion in Nigeria

February 18, 2026

Meeting between the leadership of the Ministry of Justice and the FBI to strengthen cooperation

February 18, 2026

Constitutional law scholar and former minister Antonis Manitakis dies at 82

February 18, 2026

The chief prison guard at Domokos prison was arrested for complicity in the murder of a life-sentenced inmate

February 18, 2026
All News

> Greece

The photos of the execution of the 200 in Kaisariani are authentic; declared a monument by the Ministry of Culture, opening the way for their acquisition

The 12 photographs bear the date 1–5–1944 on their reverse – The same collector holds a collection of over 160 photographs belonging to a German lieutenant

February 18, 2026

Meeting between the leadership of the Ministry of Justice and the FBI to strengthen cooperation

February 18, 2026

Constitutional law scholar and former minister Antonis Manitakis dies at 82

February 18, 2026

The chief prison guard at Domokos prison was arrested for complicity in the murder of a life-sentenced inmate

February 18, 2026

Kyranakis: From today the Tram arrives at Piraeus Port

February 18, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα