×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Wednesday
18
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 11°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Decapitated skeletons of Roman “criminals” found during England rail excavation

The cemetery contained about 425 burials in total, the rail company said in a statement

Newsroom February 10 05:01

About 40 decapitated skeletons unearthed by a group of archaeologists in southern England are thought to belong to “criminals” from the Roman period, researchers say.

The skeletons were found when archaeologists on England’s High Speed 2 program (HS2) discovered a late Roman cemetery, thought to be the biggest of its kind in Buckinghamshire.
A team of 50 archaeologists had been working the site for more than a year, where they also found sections of a Roman town in the local village of Fleet Marston, alongside more than 1,200 coins, and gaming dice, bells, spoons, pins and brooches.
The residential settlement was also likely used as a stopping place for soldiers and passersby traveling through Fleet Marston, en route to the Roman town of Alchester.

See Also:

Turkish Foreign Minister openly disputes the sovereignty of Greek islands in the Aegean Sea

The cemetery contained about 425 burials in total, the rail company said in a statement.
The number of burials, as well as the settlement itself, implied that a large number of people arrived at the town between the mid and late Roman period – potentially as a result of inflated agricultural production.
One explanation for the use of decapitation as a burial practice could be that the skeletons were once “criminals or a type of outcast,” although such a process was a standard during the late Roman period, the statement added.
Read more: CNN

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#archaeology#burial#decapitated#roman#UK#world
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Unacceptable oil embargo on Cuba by the U.S., says Putin

February 18, 2026

Owner of Violanta, Konstantinos Tziortziotis, remanded in custody after five-hour testimony

February 18, 2026

Hoxha’s secret naval base inside a mountain in Albania, the clash with the Russians, and the theft of the submarines

February 18, 2026

Ten centuries-old olive trees in New Heraklion, Attica

February 18, 2026

The photos of the execution of the 200 in Kaisariani are authentic; declared a monument by the Ministry of Culture, opening the way for their acquisition

February 18, 2026

Bulgaria holds early parliamentary elections on 19 April, eighth in five years

February 18, 2026

Kaklamanis: Parliament will hire one of the 12 children of a large family

February 18, 2026

Washington moves closer to declaring war on Iran, even immediately: “Trump’s patience is running out”

February 18, 2026
All News

> Greece

Owner of Violanta, Konstantinos Tziortziotis, remanded in custody after five-hour testimony

The testimony of Mr. Tziortziotis regarding the explosion at the Trikala factory that claimed the lives of five female workers lasted four hours and 45 minutes

February 18, 2026

Ten centuries-old olive trees in New Heraklion, Attica

February 18, 2026

The photos of the execution of the 200 in Kaisariani are authentic; declared a monument by the Ministry of Culture, opening the way for their acquisition

February 18, 2026

Meeting between the leadership of the Ministry of Justice and the FBI to strengthen cooperation

February 18, 2026

Constitutional law scholar and former minister Antonis Manitakis dies at 82

February 18, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα