×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
18
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 20°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Tsitsipas, Nadal and Djokovic against Wimbledon banning Russian players

The top players said it was unfair

Newsroom May 3 03:59

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Stefanos Tsitsipas, Novak Djokovic, and Rafael Nadal are three of the top tennis players that took issue with Wimbledon banning Russian and Belarusian players from the second tennis major event of the season over Russian President Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine and Belarus siding with the Kremlin.

No. 2 men’s player Daniil Medvedev, current U.S. Open men’s singles champion, is among those affected by a ban. Aryna Sabalenka, the No. 4 women’s player who is from Belarus, is also banned.

>Related articles

Dendias sends stern message over Ukrainian drone: “We are owed clear explanations, it endangered maritime safety”

The mysteries behind the handwritten notes found in the USV in Lefkada: Under examination by a Special Armed Forces Unit

Did the maritime drone come from a Ukrainian base in Libya? The two scenarios regarding its origin

“It’s not the players’ fault”, the Greek tennis player said, who is half Russian on his mother’s side.
“I think it’s very unfair of (on) my Russian tennis mates, my colleagues … it’s not their fault what’s happening in this moment with the war,” Nadal said in Spain, where he and the Serbian tennis star are getting ready to play at the Madrid Open.

Djokovic compared the situation to when he was banned from the Australian Open and the country of Australia for not being vaccinated against the coronavirus.

“It’s not the same thing, but going through something similar earlier this year for myself, it’s frustrating knowing that you’re not able to play. I still stand by my position that I don’t support the (Wimbledon) decision. I think it’s just not fair, it’s not right, but it is what it is,” he said.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Champion Stefanos Tsitsipas#invasion#Novak Djokovic#Rafael Nadal#Russian war#tennis#ukraine#Wimbledon
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Alexis Tsipras to announce his new party on May 26, according to his post

May 18, 2026

International Museum Day 2026: Free admission and exciting events at museums across Greece

May 18, 2026

New sell-off in markets after Trump’s threats toward Iran: Asian markets fall, oil rises, fears over inflation and pressure on stocks and bonds

May 18, 2026

Checks in 90 countries on deposits, POS systems, real estate, social media, and assets by the AADE for Greek tax evasion

May 18, 2026

Mitsotakis speaks about elections in 2027 (and means it) without internal party tensions, new ND secretary “locked in”

May 18, 2026

Erdogan is legislating even the maps of his imagination, fully adopting the concept of casus belli

May 17, 2026

Fire caused by a drone attack at the Barakah nuclear power plant in Abu Dhabi

May 17, 2026

Mitsotakis: Elections in 2027, only through a third New Democracy government term does the sure path to Greece 2030 pass (updated)

May 17, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα