×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Thursday
19
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 16°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Grave secrets of trapped WWI German soldiers to stay buried, for now

Experts were able to confirm the discovery of the so-called Winterberg Tunnel, which is believed to contain the bodies of some 270 German troops

Newsroom May 12 04:15

German and French authorities are debating what to do with a “forgotten mass grave” of German soldiers who perished in a tunnel that was sealed by enemy forces in north-eastern France during World War I.

Following a drilling operation in the department of Aisne, experts were able to confirm the discovery of the so-called Winterberg Tunnel, which is believed to contain the bodies of some 270 German troops.

The German War Graves Commission (VDK) said a camera had been inserted into a large, dusty limestone cavity found deep in the ground, but that poor visibility prevented any clear images from being taken.

See Also:

Local adventurers find an alien-like red creature that “smells like rotting flesh”

>Related articles

Peace Council underway: Possible deal with Iran in 10 days, says Trump (video)

Russia offers a $12 trillion package to the US in exchange for the lifting of sanctions

Medvedev: Zelensky is a useful idiot, as long as he stays in power, Ukraine is shrinking

The VDK said future access to the grave – which is in the forest of Craonne and has been overgrown with vegetation – would only be possible through the use of heavy machinery.

The objective of the operation, the commission added, had not been to exhume any bodies but to study the site, while ensuring “due respect for the soldiers’ remains”.

Read more: RFI

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#archaeology#discovery#history#tombs#world#WWI
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Brooklyn Beckham unfollows Gordon Ramsay’s twins after chef’s comments on family rift

February 19, 2026

Peace Council underway: Possible deal with Iran in 10 days, says Trump (video)

February 19, 2026

Russia offers a $12 trillion package to the US in exchange for the lifting of sanctions

February 19, 2026

Greek Parliament: Clash over incidents at Nikaia General State Hospital

February 19, 2026

Brad Pitt arrived in Hydra for film shooting, see photos of the sets that have been set up on the island

February 19, 2026

Medvedev: Zelensky is a useful idiot, as long as he stays in power, Ukraine is shrinking

February 19, 2026

Ministry of Culture: Saint George cemetery in Ermoupoli, Syros, protected and enhanced

February 19, 2026

Radar fault at Athens Airport restored after causing flight delays

February 19, 2026
All News

> World

Peace Council underway: Possible deal with Iran in 10 days, says Trump (video)

Leaders from 40 countries have pledged to provide $5 billion and thousands of personnel for the reconstruction of Gaza

February 19, 2026

Russia offers a $12 trillion package to the US in exchange for the lifting of sanctions

February 19, 2026

Medvedev: Zelensky is a useful idiot, as long as he stays in power, Ukraine is shrinking

February 19, 2026

At least three dead and 10 injured after a truck carrying gas explodes in Chile

February 19, 2026

Guardian: Trump administration plans to build a 5,000-strong military base in Gaza

February 19, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα