×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Wednesday
19
Aug 2026
weather symbol
Athens 32°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Grave secrets of trapped WWI German soldiers to stay buried, for now

Experts were able to confirm the discovery of the so-called Winterberg Tunnel, which is believed to contain the bodies of some 270 German troops

Newsroom May 12 04:15

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

German and French authorities are debating what to do with a “forgotten mass grave” of German soldiers who perished in a tunnel that was sealed by enemy forces in north-eastern France during World War I.

Following a drilling operation in the department of Aisne, experts were able to confirm the discovery of the so-called Winterberg Tunnel, which is believed to contain the bodies of some 270 German troops.

The German War Graves Commission (VDK) said a camera had been inserted into a large, dusty limestone cavity found deep in the ground, but that poor visibility prevented any clear images from being taken.

See Also:

Local adventurers find an alien-like red creature that “smells like rotting flesh”

>Related articles

Greek Armed Forces Chief of Defence Staff Dimitrios Houpis visits Israel, meets IDF chief

Oil: Third straight day of gains and three-week high amid US-Iran deadlock; Brent above $91

ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard dies at 77

The VDK said future access to the grave – which is in the forest of Craonne and has been overgrown with vegetation – would only be possible through the use of heavy machinery.

The objective of the operation, the commission added, had not been to exhume any bodies but to study the site, while ensuring “due respect for the soldiers’ remains”.

Read more: RFI

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#archaeology#discovery#history#tombs#world#WWI
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

New €4.5 million fireboat that operates in rough seas and reaches speeds of 32 knots, reaches Lavrio

August 19, 2026

Elafonisi packed with visitors: Large crowds at the popular beach in Crete — see photos

August 19, 2026

Fire breaks out in Zagori, Ioannina, helicopter joins battle against the flames

August 19, 2026

Bank of Greece: Central government cash primary surplus at €3.6 billion in the first seven months

August 19, 2026

Pentagon considering moving Patriot system to Crete following Iran threats to strike European targets

August 19, 2026

“Everything’s fine, we’re just looking for Milos”: A thick blanket of fog covered Kimolos — watch video

August 19, 2026

Madonna: “It’s My Birthday! Eat, Pray, Love, Drink, Dance, Break plates, Feed Cats!! Thank you G*D!”

August 19, 2026

46 migrants rescued south of Gavdos, being taken to Crete

August 19, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα