×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
17
Aug 2026
weather symbol
Athens 25°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> Economy

Elon Musk puts Twitter deal on hold until fake accounts determined

Musk estimates that around 20% of the accounts on Twitter are fake or spam accounts

Newsroom May 17 12:55

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Elon Musk has said his $44 billion purchase of Twitter will not move ahead until he has more clarity on how many accounts are fake.

Twitter estimated in a filing earlier this month that fewer than 5% of its monetizable daily active users — known as mDAUs — during the first quarter were bots or spam accounts.

But Musk estimates that around 20% of the accounts on Twitter are fake or spam accounts and he’s concerned that the number could be even higher.

“My offer was based on Twitter’s SEC filings being accurate,” Musk tweeted early Tuesday morning. “Yesterday, Twitter’s CEO publicly refused to show proof of <5%. This deal cannot move forward until he does.”

>Related articles

Musk ‘repairs’ relationship with Trump, commits $100 million backing Republicans in midterms

“She betrays France,” says Musk of politician who called for X to be shut down during election campaigns to stop it influencing voters

Tesla’s major investment in Greece

Twitter’s shares slipped 2.22% in pre-market trading on Tuesday. A spokesperson for Twitter did not immediately respond to a CNBC request for comment.

Musk’s tweet comes just a few hours after Parag Agrawal, Twitter’s CEO, posted a lengthy thread about spam on the social network.

source cnbc.com

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#deal#Elon Musk#fake accounts#twitter
> More Economy

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Budget: Primary surplus at €5.725 billion in the January–July 2026 period

August 17, 2026

Japanese rating agency R&I upgrades outlook for Greek economy from stable to positive

August 17, 2026

Feature in the French magazine Le Point on Kyriakos Pierrakakis: “The Greek who wants to wake Europe up”

August 17, 2026

State Department on GSI: US supports energy security and cooperation in the Eastern Mediterranean

August 17, 2026

How Kim Jong Un circumvented sanctions and funneled up to $22 billion into Pyongyang’s coffers

August 17, 2026

Private helicopter crashes on Sifnos – Three passengers dead

August 17, 2026

Trump: “The primary objective was, is, and always will be to ensure that Iran does not acquire a nuclear weapon”

August 17, 2026

An Illegal immigrant attacked & raped for 20 minutes elderly man outside a church in London, claimed “I wanted to help him”

August 17, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα