×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Saturday
23
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 20°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Twitter stops enforcing Covid-19 misinformation policy

It’s another major shift under new owner Elon Musk

Newsroom December 1 09:49

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Twitter will no longer stop users from spreading false information about the Covid-19 virus or vaccines, according to an update on its content moderation policies.

It’s another major shift under new owner Elon Musk, who has pressed for “free speech” above all else on the platform. Twitter’s Covid-19 misinformation page was updated with a note saying that as of Nov. 23, the platform would no longer enforce its policies against spreading misleading information on the virus and vaccines — which had led to more than 11,000 account suspensions since 2020.

Since his takeover, Musk has fired huge swaths of the company, including thousands of contract and full-time employees who were responsible for content moderation.

At the same time, several top executives overseeing content moderation policies and enforcement, including Twitter’s former head of Trust and Safety, Yoel Roth, have left the company.

also read

Alabama “execution survivor” reaches settlement with state

Tom Tarantino, who formerly led Twitter’s Covid-19 Response Task Force, said the lack of staff also likely contributed to the policy reversal.

“Misinformation policies are very labor intensive to enforce as it typically requires human review to read context,” he said. “As many — or all — of the team that is enforcing that policy is no longer there, I imagine that this is more about practicality than philosophy.”

On Capitol Hill, Democrats blasted the decision. “The misinformation is beyond dangerous, it’s potentially deadly to a lot of people who may be unable to see through a lot of the misinformation that’s out there,” Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) told reporters Tuesday.

And medical professionals likewise said the move could harm people. “Nowhere near enough was being done to stamp out medical misinformation on social media previously; but this step, along with re-platforming voices who wish to sow confusion and increase mistrust in medicine, will do more harm,” said Jack Resneck Jr., the president of the American Medical Association, in a statement. He also urged patients to seek out accurate medical information, including from their own physician.

>Related articles

Successful test flight for Elon Musk’s new Starship V3 (video)

SpaceX: Why it canceled the Starship V3 launch 40 seconds before liftoff

SpaceX launches Starship again: Why this test is crucial for NASA’s lunar plans and Elon Musk’s company

While Twitter never formally announced the change, Twitter users noticed the policy update on Monday night, and it was first reported by CNN. It appears to be part of Musk’s plans to grant “general amnesty” to previously banned accounts — like that of former President Donald Trump — and the tech billionaire has said he’s updating policies this week that would reinstate more accounts.

This could mean the 11,230 accounts suspended since Twitter’s Covid-19 misinformation policy went into effect in early 2020 may soon be or are in the process of being reinstated. One of the biggest repeat offenders was Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.), whose personal account was reinstated last week after being suspended for repeatedly breaking Twitter’s policy against spreading false Covid-19 information.

more at politico.com

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#COVID-19#Elon Musk#misinformation#twitter
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

The Orphanage of Prinkipo will become a Hotel – “It was not an easy decision, but it was necessary,” says Bartholomew

May 23, 2026

Kostas Iliakis: The “eagle” of Crete who was extinguished in the sky

May 23, 2026

Iron Maiden return to Athens tonight for a massive Heavy Metal celebration (photos-video)

May 23, 2026

Successful test flight for Elon Musk’s new Starship V3 (video)

May 23, 2026

Iranian Revolutionary Guard terrorist planned to kill Ivanka Trump, had map of her Florida home

May 23, 2026

Police shot & wounded a man who pulled a gun during a check – He was also carrying six grenades

May 23, 2026

The habit that became a tradition: Olympiacos vs Real Madrid for the 5th time in a EuroLeague final – The “red-and-whites” want to exorcise the ghost of Yul (videos)

May 23, 2026

The Best Greek Swimsuit and Resortwear Brands to Know This Summer

May 22, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα