×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Saturday
23
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 22°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

A Ukrainian commander has revealed the true scale of losses & paid the price

He revealed that all of the original 500 soldiers in his unit had either been killed or injured a rare acknowledgement from inside the Ukrainian ranks

Newsroom March 17 11:00

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Ukraine has demoted a top battlefield commander after he admitted his unit had been decimated in fighting around the city of Bakhmut.

The battalion commander, known by his call sign Kupol, gave an unusually frank assessment of Ukrainian losses in an interview from the front lines earlier this week.

He revealed that all of the original 500 soldiers in his unit had either been killed or injured, a rare acknowledgement from inside the Ukrainian ranks, where losses are kept strictly confidential.

The Ukrainian high command is at pains to present a positive spin on the increasingly bloody defence of the East. US officials have estimated that the Ukrainian army may have taken 120,000 casualties compared to 200,000 by the Russian army.

See Also:

>Related articles

Kostas Iliakis: The “eagle” of Crete who was extinguished in the sky

Iron Maiden return to Athens tonight for a massive Heavy Metal celebration (photos-video)

Successful test flight for Elon Musk’s new Starship V3 (video)

China inaugurating a New World Order? – Analysis

Kupol told the Washington Post this week that the Ukrainian army training was often poor and that some of the rookie replacements didn’t know how to throw a hand grenade or fire a rifle.

Read more: The Telegraph

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#diplomacy#invasion#losses#military#politics#russia#ukriane#war#world
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

The Orphanage of Prinkipo will become a Hotel – “It was not an easy decision, but it was necessary,” says Bartholomew

May 23, 2026

Kostas Iliakis: The “eagle” of Crete who was extinguished in the sky

May 23, 2026

Iron Maiden return to Athens tonight for a massive Heavy Metal celebration (photos-video)

May 23, 2026

Successful test flight for Elon Musk’s new Starship V3 (video)

May 23, 2026

Iranian Revolutionary Guard terrorist planned to kill Ivanka Trump, had map of her Florida home

May 23, 2026

Police shot & wounded a man who pulled a gun during a check – He was also carrying six grenades

May 23, 2026

The habit that became a tradition: Olympiacos vs Real Madrid for the 5th time in a EuroLeague final – The “red-and-whites” want to exorcise the ghost of Yul (videos)

May 23, 2026

The Best Greek Swimsuit and Resortwear Brands to Know This Summer

May 22, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα