×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
18
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 18°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Israel at War (live stream)

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called the conflict with Hamas a war

Newsroom October 7 03:06

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Israel’s conflict with Hamas has escalated into a war, according to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Since the Palestinian invasion this morning, at least 22 people have been recorded dead and 580 wounded, and Israel has already launched a major counter-attack with air strikes.

At the same time, the Guardian reports unconfirmed reports that the Israeli death toll stands at 57.

Remarkably, it was the kidnapping of just 3 Israelis that sparked the 2014 war.

A short while ago, IAF aircraft targeted a number of terrorists along the Gaza Strip security fence.

Israel’s Foreign Ministry said: “Earlier this morning armed Hamas terrorists infiltrated Israeli communities and started going house to house and murdering innocent Israelis. Some of the images are so disturbing we cannot even share them. We will take every measure to protect our citizens and target those who harm them.”

“The U.S. unequivocally condemns the unprovoked attacks by Hamas terrorists against Israeli civilians. There is never any justification for terrorism. We stand firmly with the Government and people of Israel and extend our condolences for the Israeli lives lost in these attacks.” said the US State Department in a statement.

It all started at dawn on Saturday morning, when the Islamist group Hamas launched its largest attack on Israel in years, in a surprise move that saw gunmen cross the border and a volley of rockets fired at various points (including Tel Aviv) from the Gaza Strip.

As alarm sirens sounded across southern and central Israel, including Jerusalem, the Israeli army declared a state of war, with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu calling an emergency meeting of security officials and Defense Minister Joav Galland authorizing the recruitment of reservists.

“We are in a state of war, right now in the south there are 21 active operations within 80 kilometers of the border in Gaza, ” a police commander said, while armed militants are reportedly storming homes and holding hostages.

Meanwhile, according to Israel’s Emergency Management Agency (MDA), at least 20 Israelis have been killed since this morning in various locations in the south of the country by Hamas militants’ gunfire as well as rockets. Meanwhile, the Ministry of Health reported that 545 wounded have been taken to hospitals so far.

Israeli Minister of Defense, Yoav Gallant has Approved an order to begin the Call-Up of Reservists to Reinforce and Support the Israeli Defense Force.

Multiple rocket impacts in southern Israel. This was coordinated by multiple factions in Gaza pic.twitter.com/TZB2DFP92h

— MOOD OBIDIENT ? (@anonymousmoood) October 7, 2023

Greek PM Mitsotakis posted a tweet condemning the attack by Hamas against Israel: “I strongly condemn today’s atrocious terrorist attack against Israel, causing a high number of casualties among civilians. We stand by the people of Israel and fully support its right to self- defense.”

Al-Jazeera’s analysis gives a detailed account of the conflict. The Palestinian armed group Hamas launched “Operation Al-Aqsa Flood” against Israel in the most serious escalation since Israel and Hamas fought an 11-day war in 2021.

Hamas said it fired 5,000 rockets, while Israel confirmed that militants from the group had entered its territory.

Daniel Hagari, an Israeli army spokesman, said the group attacked from land, sea, and air.

Israelis across the country-on Shabbat and the holiday of Simchat Torah-woke up to sirens sounding and Hamas firing rockets at them from Gaza this morning.

The first round of rockets was fired at 06:30 a.m. local time (03:30 GMT).
The Israeli military also said it launched “Operation Iron Swords” against Hamas in the Gaza Strip.

The early morning strikes occurred during Simchat Torah, a holiday that falls towards the end of the weekly Jewish holiday known as Sukkot or Feast of Tabernacles or Feast of Tabernacles.

>Related articles

“Go and take it”: The Trump administration reportedly urged the United Arab Emirates to “put boots on the ground” on Lavan Island

Fraport Greece: 3.2% increase in passenger traffic in April despite the impact of the Middle East

Third Global Sumud Flotilla departs from Turkey bound for Gaza

Where did the attacks take place?



The rockets were fired as far away as Tel Aviv. Hamas also sent fighters into southern Israel. 
Israeli media reported that gunmen had opened fire on passers-by in the town of Sderot, while footage circulated on social media appeared to show clashes in the streets of the town as well as gunmen in jeeps roaming the countryside.

One report claimed that Hamas militants had taken control of several Israeli urban centres, where residents were pleading for help from their government.

The Israeli military said dozens of fighter jets were carrying out attacks on Hamas targets in the Gaza Strip.

Currently, gun battles are taking place in and around the towns of Kfar Aza, Sderot, Sufa, Nahal Oz, Magen, Be’eri and the military base of Re’im, the Times of Israel reported.

How many casualties in Israel and Palestine?

At least 22 Israelis have been killed, local media reported, citing emergency services, as of 14:00 GMT. More than 500 Israelis have been injured, Reuters reported, citing the country’s health ministry.

At least four Palestinians have been killed and five wounded in clashes between the Israeli army and Palestinian groups in the Gaza border area, Anadolu news agency reported.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Hamas#israel#Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu#Middle East#palestine#war
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Erdogan is legislating even the maps of his imagination, fully adopting the concept of casus belli

May 17, 2026

Fire caused by a drone attack at the Barakah nuclear power plant in Abu Dhabi

May 17, 2026

Mitsotakis: Elections in 2027, only through a third New Democracy government term does the sure path to Greece 2030 pass (updated)

May 17, 2026

“Go and take it”: The Trump administration reportedly urged the United Arab Emirates to “put boots on the ground” on Lavan Island

May 17, 2026

More than 100 drones on standby for wildfire season across Greece

May 17, 2026

Upper secondary school promotion and graduation exams begin tomorrow

May 17, 2026

Kyriakos Mitsotakis sets out the election dilemmas at the New Democracy congress: Strong mandate and self-reliance to avoid backsliding

May 17, 2026

Eurovision Song Contest 2026 was won by Bulgaria with 516 points after a thriller finish against Israel – Akylas finished 10th for Greece

May 17, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα