×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Thursday
21
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 20°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> Politics

Arvanitis: Changed stance after outcry – Now claims he didn’t write anything regarding budget cuts

In the morning, he had stated that he himself had written the article in the European Parliament resolution about cutting funds to Greece - Strong reaction from New Democracy

Newsroom March 4 07:02

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

The MEP of SYRIZA, Kostas Arvanitis, changed his position after the outcry over his statement that he himself wrote the controversial article that spoke of cutting funding to Greece in the European Parliament resolution.

In a statement following his morning remarks and the government’s reaction, Mr. Arvanitis now states that “my contribution concerns article 27, which stipulates that Greek citizens should not be deprived of European funds or other support as a result of the condemnation by the European Parliament of politicians for whom the government alone is responsible.”

It is recalled that earlier on Monday morning, he had stated, “They were shouting at the government that we are anti-Greek, and how is it possible for us to do this and vote for it. I inform them that we wrote it ourselves” on OPEN.

On his part, Pavlos Marinakis, a government spokesperson, stated that “Kostas Arvanitis cynically admitted his involvement, proudly admitted it. He said that he was not only one of the authors but also proudly declared that he was the instigator of an article that foresaw a funding cut for Greece. A Greek MEP, elected with the votes of Greek citizens, to defame his country and to create resolutions that would block funds for the country.”

However, Mr. Arvanitis later changed his initial position with a statement, saying, “The treasures of Mr. Marinakis, and another pitiful mudslinging campaign to cover up the very awkward blue Brussels reality.”

Here’s the timeline of the case:

On Monday morning, Mr. Arvanitis, speaking on OPEN in a debate with New Democracy MP Thanos Pleuris, clarified that he wrote the last article of the said resolution condemning our country, while he differentiated his position by saying that he personally participated in the process. “Not the MEPs, but the MEP, I wrote it,” he said.

See Also:

A fine of €742,000 on the frozen vegetable company “AINOS SA”

>Related articles

Today’s unveiling of Karystianou’s party: “Hope,” instructions to collaborators, and a surprise guest

Greece enters summer strongly with a 9.3% increase in Airbnb demand (tables)

Family left Britain and moved permanently to Lefkada: “We spend less and live much better”

Mr. Arvanitis even clarified the content of the article he contributed to. “In Article 27, which I substantially contributed to, it says that the government must fully utilize the tools, Greece must comply with it, otherwise EU funds will be cut,” he said, adding, “It doesn’t say what you are saying, that SYRIZA and the European Parliament voted to cut funds.”

The reaction of New Democracy was intense, with spokesperson Nikos Romanos speaking of a ‘direct and unqualified admission’ that the resolution against Greece was not only orchestrated but also written by SYRIZA itself.

“It is now clear that SYRIZA, in the face of its oppositional rage against the government, disregards the significant damage caused to the country, even for the loss of crucial European funds that support social cohesion and the development of local communities. It is pathetic for the Official Opposition of the country. Absolutely fitting for SYRIZA,” he concluded.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#arvanitis#diplomacy#European Parliament#greece#politics#syriza
> More Politics

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Today’s unveiling of Karystianou’s party: “Hope,” instructions to collaborators, and a surprise guest

May 21, 2026

Greece enters summer strongly with a 9.3% increase in Airbnb demand (tables)

May 21, 2026

Family left Britain and moved permanently to Lefkada: “We spend less and live much better”

May 21, 2026

Brake on new wind farms with the new spatial plan for renewables: Cyclades excluded, restrictions on islands, mountain peaks above 1,200 meters, and protected areas

May 21, 2026

Gas smell in Attica: What the new data analysis and the map of “suspicious” areas show

May 21, 2026

Athens public transport upgraded: New trains, “smart” network, and more frequent metro and bus routes

May 21, 2026

Thyranoixia of the Saint Tychon Parish in Luleå, Sweden

May 20, 2026

Tehran considers a new US proposal after the visit of the Pakistani mediator

May 20, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα