×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Saturday
22
Aug 2026
weather symbol
Athens 31°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Israel in favour of retaliation after war council meeting – “We are not finished”, they make clear

Israelis call Iran the world community's greatest enemy - Israel's next moves scenarios - Biden calls for Biden to avoid escalation

Newsroom April 14 11:14

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Israel’s next moves as well as the decisions of Benjamin Netanyahu and his war council are the focus of the international community.

No official communication has yet been issued following the talks, but information so far indicates that the majority of the council members were in favour of a response, which was expected, as previous statements by Israeli officials suggesting the preparation of a specific retaliatory plan against Iran have shown.

According to international media reports, the Israeli war council meeting considered a series of retaliatory measures to be imposed on Tehran following its barrage of drone and cruise missile attacks.

It is reported that it was decided to postpone the operation in Rafah in order to redesign the plan and focus forces on the biggest enemy, which is Iran.

Besides, Israel’s Minister of War made it clear earlier that there would be a response and even stressed that the operation has not yet been completed.

See Also

PM Mitsotakis: “We must protect our borders” – Joint statements with Tusk in Warsaw

At the same time, the USA and Europe are clearly on Israel’s side, recognising the right to self-defence, but they are calling for restraint and avoiding an extended conflict.

In a telephone conversation between Joe Biden and Benjamin Netanyahu on the night of the attack, the US President reportedly told the Israeli Prime Minister that Israel should show restraint towards Iran and that further retaliation may not be necessary.

White House National Security Spokesman John Kirby tells NBC’s “Meet the Press” that the US is not seeking a wider war in the region after helping Israel defend itself against Iran’s attack.

>Related articles

Secret tanker crossings are keeping oil prices from soaring through the Strait of Hormuz

Israeli PM Netanyahu brands Turkish President Erdogan ‘antisemitic dictator’ after Interpol arrest warrant

Turkey seeks Interpol “red notice” for Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu over Gaza flotilla interception

We are not seeking escalation, Kirby stresses, but adds that the US president told Benjamin Netanyahu during their phone call yesterday that the US will continue to support Israel’s right to self-defence.

A possible Israeli response to Iran’s attacks could be serious, even as the US tries to prevent them from escalating the conflict, but Mike Mulroy, former Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defence for the Middle East, stressed for his part.

According to Mulroy, the Iranian attack could have killed many civilians and caused serious damage to Israeli civilian and commercial infrastructure.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Benjamin Netanyahu#Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense#iran#israel#israeli#Middle East#retaliation#US
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Madonna’s partner posts Greek holiday photos and declares his love in Greek

August 22, 2026

Secret tanker crossings are keeping oil prices from soaring through the Strait of Hormuz

August 22, 2026

‘Thieves are breaking into the house!’: Father of 18-year-old describes son’s ordeal with 3 intruders in Nea Penteli

August 22, 2026

Island Hopping, One Beer at a Time: 12 Bottles Worth Chasing Across Greece

August 22, 2026

Greek PM to unveil tax cuts and record debt reduction at Thessaloniki Fair

August 22, 2026

Germany’s ‘mammoth’ €12bn arms programme for long-range missiles in case of Russian attack

August 22, 2026

Health Minister clashes with SYRIZA MP over Madonna’s Greece visit

August 22, 2026

Greece’s West Nile virus cases surge, with eastern Attica hit hardest

August 22, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα