×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Wednesday
20
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 22°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Brussels warns about the Russian “shadow fleet” and says it will take stronger countermeasures

EU says it will take stronger action after suspected sabotage of a submarine cable off the coast of Finland

Newsroom December 30 01:37

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

 

The European Union today warned of Russia’s so-called “shadow fleet” and said it would take stronger action after suspected sabotage of a submarine cable off the coast of Finland.

The EU “will take stronger action to address risks that these ships pose,” EU foreign policy chief Kaya Kalas said in an interview published today by Die Welt.

“Russia’s ‘shadow fleet’ threatens the environment and finances Russia’s war budget,” said Callas, adding that the ships are suspected of carrying out acts of sabotage.

The Estlink 2 undersea energy cable between Estonia and Finland was cut on Wednesday and Finnish authorities suspect it may be an act of sabotage.

Finnish authorities subsequently detained the Cook Islands-flagged oil tanker Eagle S, whose anchor is believed to have caused the cable damage.

According to the EU, the ship may be part of Russia’s so-called “shadow fleet” Russia – tankers and other cargo ships that Russia unofficially uses to circumvent sanctions on oil transport.

Kalas, Estonia’s former prime minister, said sabotage in Europe has increased since Russia began its war against Ukraine in February 2022.

“Recent sabotage attempts in the Baltic Sea are not isolated incidents; they create a deliberate pattern aimed at damaging our digital and energy infrastructure,” Kalas added.

>Related articles

Olaf Scholz: Russia’s shadow fleet poses threats in the Baltic Sea

Russia has captured a US Tomahawk missile in Syria & is planning countermeasures

Government’s promises for countermeasures a dead letter

On Saturday, German Foreign Minister Analena Berbock had already sounded the alarm about Russia’s “shadow fleet” and called for further European sanctions. Burbock warned that the “wrecked Russian shadow fleet” poses a serious threat to both the environment and European security.

“Almost every month, ships are currently damaging important undersea cables in the Baltic Sea,” Burbock said.

 

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Brussels warning#countermeasures#EU response#maritime sanctions#Russian shadow fleet
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Thyranoixia of the Saint Tychon Parish in Luleå, Sweden

May 20, 2026

Tehran considers a new US proposal after the visit of the Pakistani mediator

May 20, 2026

Eurostat: Inflation in Greece confirmed at 4.6% in April

May 20, 2026

Trump on Iran: Either we’ll finish it or they will sign an agreement

May 20, 2026

Dendias: Ukraine owes a big apology for the drone, I am not among those who have believed the narrative of “calm waters”

May 20, 2026

“Life of Byron”opens at the Greek Center next week

May 20, 2026

Speech by Mitsotakis at the event on public transport in Athens

May 20, 2026

The real estate market: How much the boundless, ultra-luxurious blue of the Aegean and Ionian costs

May 20, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα