×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Thursday
19
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 15°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> Greece

‘We split two families for a dog,’ Says breeder in Rethymno hunter’s murder case – Prosecutor seeks conviction

The breeder claims that the hunter was the one who first turned the gun on him and shot him while the victim's side claims the contrary

Newsroom February 24 07:00

With the plea of the 50-year-old man accused of killing the 49-year-old hunterin November 2019 in Bali Rethymnon, the trial continued at the Joint Court of Appeal, under strict security measures. The prosecutor proposed to the court the guilt of the cattle farmer for manslaughter with intent.

The defendant began his plea by describing what happened that day. He began by saying that “at about 6am that day I had gone to feed the goats. There was a dog near the shed where the feeder was and it was approaching while half the goats had turned towards the mountain. I heard the dog barking and he had grabbed a goat by the leg. As soon as I saw this I yelled at the dog and shot it towards the mountain. Then a shot came in my direction.”

“I didn’t realize there were hunters nearby. The hunter heard the shot and thought I had killed the dog. “You’re going to kill my dog” he yelled. At that moment I didn’t know who it was, I was afraid he was going to kill me. I started looking for a way to cover myself. I see a spot where there were branches and a rock and I said I’ll go there to take cover. Then two more shots were fired. One shot hit me in the shoulder blade. I had also loaded my gun and from where I heard the shots I fired. I was screaming “they got me.” I didn’t understand what was happening I was in a semi-conscious state. I was blurred,” the accused added, according to flashnews.gr.

“I tried to reload the gun I had “broken” it to put a cartridge in it but I couldn’t. From the day I was shot until today two fingers on my hand are like dead. I left the spot where I had been hiding and went from the back to the top. I didn’t even realize how I was taken from there and how I ended up in the hospital,” he continued.

Among other things he noted that “my brother was also in the shed he had come to feed his own goats but he did not follow me. I thought the dog was stray and wild and would do damage. I had taken the gun with me because it could have attacked me too. I wanted to get away from the goat, if I wanted to kill I would have killed the dog. It is a lie that I said the phrase ‘I will kill you too’.”

The 50-year-old concluded his apology by saying “if I had known what was going to happen that day I wouldn’t have wanted to go at all. And if all the goats were drowned, killed and slaughtered I wouldn’t want to go. It ruined both our lives. We were friends, our kids hung out, and this is what we ended up with. For one dog, we broke up both our families. The dog wasn’t wearing anything that hunting dogs normally wear. He was a big dog, bigger than the small hunting dogs.”

Guilty plea recommended by prosecutor

For his part, the prosecutor recommended that the 50-year-old breeder be found guilty of intentional homicide in a calm mental state. In his proposal, the prosecutor did not accept the defendant’s claims that he was in a state of mental impulse and noted that the incident with the goat he described was not proven. In fact, he said, the defendant’s subsequent actions did not support this version and had been preceded by insults and threats.

At the same time, the prosecutor in his motion recounting the incidents said that the proceedings show that the victim received the first shot and then fired three consecutive shots.

>Related articles

The contract-killing scenario behind the murder of the life-sentence inmate executed at Domokos Prison, and the gaps in the “rescue” of the chief guard

New questions about Epstein’s death: Coroner speaks of “possible strangulation” and calls for a review

Horror in a basement in Thessaloniki: He strangled 46-year-old Maria and threw her in the trash, hid the body of 43-year-old Vicky

The trial will resume on Tuesday, February 25.

The murder

The tragedy unfolded on the morning of November 16, 2019. The hunter allegedly argued with the then 45-year-old breeder when the victim’s hounds entered the latter’s sheepfold, resulting in a fight.

The rancher claimed in preliminary questioning that the 49-year-old hunter was the one who first turned the gun on him and shot him, while the victim’s side claims the exact opposite.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#crete#dispute#murder
> More Greece

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

What funding are Kapodistrias, Broken Vein, The Great Chimera, Rififi receiving – The funds for foreign films

February 19, 2026

The owner of “Violanda” in Trikala prison: the crucial questions about the propane leak and the “line” of the apology

February 19, 2026

“Ark of the World”: Father Antonios and four other defendants guilty of physical abuse of children

February 19, 2026

The battle of LNG: How we came to the Motor Oil – DESFA rift over the FSRU in Corinth

February 19, 2026

The breathtaking road that seems to float on water— A gateway to the “Polynesia of Greece”

February 19, 2026

Unacceptable oil embargo on Cuba by the U.S., says Putin

February 18, 2026

Owner of Violanta, Konstantinos Tziortziotis, remanded in custody after five-hour testimony

February 18, 2026

Hoxha’s secret naval base inside a mountain in Albania, the clash with the Russians, and the theft of the submarines

February 18, 2026
All News

> Greece

The owner of “Violanda” in Trikala prison: the crucial questions about the propane leak and the “line” of the apology

Tziortziotis insisted that he did not know about the danger, "blamed" executives - Five-hour apology and persistent questions about the safety protocols - The testimonies of employees

February 19, 2026

“Ark of the World”: Father Antonios and four other defendants guilty of physical abuse of children

February 19, 2026

The breathtaking road that seems to float on water— A gateway to the “Polynesia of Greece”

February 19, 2026

Owner of Violanta, Konstantinos Tziortziotis, remanded in custody after five-hour testimony

February 18, 2026

Ten centuries-old olive trees in New Heraklion, Attica

February 18, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα