×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Friday
20
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 14°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Trump administration’s request to the Supreme Court to “freeze” $4 billion in foreign aid

The Trump administration is seeking to freeze $4 billion in foreign aid, but says it is ready to release the remaining $6.5 billion approved by Congress

Newsroom September 8 06:58

 

>Related articles

Saudi Arabia may acquire uranium enrichment capabilities with the blessing of the US

A close associate of Jeffrey Epstein and recruiter of girls was ready to expose the network, but suddenly…disappeared

“One step from disaster”: the hard-hitting NASA report on the adventure of astronauts Wilmore and Williams

The Donald Trump administration on Monday asked the U.S. Supreme Court to allow a “freeze” on spending $4 billion in foreign aid that had been approved by Congress. The development follows a federal judge’s ruling forcing the government to spend the money, despite Trump informing Congress that he did not intend to do so.

In the new memo, Attorney General D. John Sauer argued that the case poses “a serious and urgent threat” to the power of the presidency. Under the Constitution, Congress has the power to allocate funds that the president can spend. Current federal funding expires on September 30. The Trump administration is seeking to “freeze” $4 billion in foreign aid, but says it is ready to allocate the remaining $6.5 billion that Congress has authorized.

Central to the legal dispute is federal judge Amir Ali, who ruled that the government must spend the money unless Congress approves Trump’s request for a “freeze”.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#President Donald Trump#usa aid#world
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

What would happen if drones flew over Greek airports? The state apparatus is “training” for hybrid threats and illegal flights

February 20, 2026

New Ministry of Interior–Google partnership to boost AI skills in the public sector

February 20, 2026

Brad Pitt’s secluded accommodation on Hydra: Why he chose the small hotel in Vlychos (video-photos)

February 20, 2026

Zelensky shocked his ministers according to WSJ: “Get ready for three more years of war”

February 20, 2026

The strengthening of the Greece–USA strategic defense relationship was at the center of the meeting between Dendias and a delegation from the US Congress

February 20, 2026

Temporary gov.gr Service Interruption on Sunday due to scheduled upgrade

February 20, 2026

Saudi Arabia may acquire uranium enrichment capabilities with the blessing of the US

February 20, 2026

Giannis Aggelakas: Transforms into “The Little Prince” on the Stage of Stegi

February 20, 2026
All News

> Greece

What would happen if drones flew over Greek airports? The state apparatus is “training” for hybrid threats and illegal flights

Under the coordination of the General Secretariat for National Security, military personnel, scientists, elected officials, civil servants, private-sector representatives, and citizens are being trained and “networked” to respond to geopolitical crises

February 20, 2026

Temporary gov.gr Service Interruption on Sunday due to scheduled upgrade

February 20, 2026

The International Baccalaureate IB will be equivalent to the General High School Diploma

February 20, 2026

Ioannina: Presidential Guard, F-16s and helicopters in the parade for the Liberation of the city

February 20, 2026

Attica storm alert: Kolydas warns of heavy rain starting after 7 pm

February 20, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα