×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Saturday
21
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 12°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Zelensky: ‘The Donbas issue is unresolved, we have different views with the US’

"The nuclear power plant in Zaporizhzhya, which has been occupied by Russia, is not working, it is damaged, but it must work and provide electricity," the Ukrainian president said

Newsroom December 18 04:20

The absence of an agreement between Ukraine and the United States on critical issues concerning the Donbass and the Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant was confirmed by Volodymyr Zelensky during a press conference in Brussels, stressing that substantial disagreements also remain on economic issues.

The Ukrainian president said that talks with the United States have so far not led to an agreement on the status of Donbas, as the two sides maintain different approaches. “Donbass remains an unresolved issue. We have different views,” he said.

Referring to the Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant, which is under Russian occupation, Volodymyr Zelensky said that it is a Ukrainian infrastructure, which, despite its destruction and inactivity, should be functioning and providing electricity. “The nuclear power plant, which has been occupied by the Russian Federation, is not working; it is damaged, but it should work and provide electricity. It is our station, it is our rights,” he said.

At the same time, the Ukrainian president revealed that there has been no agreement on the issue of the so-called compensation loan either. As he said, he considers it necessary to resolve this issue positively, stressing that it concerns not only financial support for Ukraine in the first quarter of next year, but also has a broader political and strategic dimension. “Under no circumstances do we want this instrument to remain in the hands of the Russians. We believe that they will do everything to block it,” he noted.

Volodymyr Zelensky also revealed that the United States has proposed a compromise regarding the Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant, which would provide for sharing its control between Ukraine, the United States and Russia. However, it has made it clear that it rejects this proposal, calling it unfair. “I do not consider this option fair,” he said, reiterating the position that the station is Ukrainian property and should be returned to full Ukrainian control.

 

 

>Related articles

Zelensky shocked his ministers according to WSJ: “Get ready for three more years of war”

According to Corriere della Sera, the US has proposed offering $800 billion and security guarantees to Zelensky in exchange for his agreement regarding Donbas

Donbas: The “Greenland” Putin is determined to secure — Zelensky’s red line

 

 

 

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Donbas#Zelensky
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Reactions to Rosie Huntington’s appearance: “My God, what’s wrong with her face?”

February 20, 2026

The Herodion closes for three years: It will reopen with a new entrance, roof, lighting, no speaker towers, and an expanded forecourt

February 20, 2026

Marilyn Monroe’s Palm Springs home listed for $3.3 million

February 20, 2026

Donald Trump imposes a flat 10% global tariff following Supreme Court ruling

February 20, 2026

What would happen if drones flew over Greek airports? The state apparatus is “training” for hybrid threats and illegal flights

February 20, 2026

New Ministry of Interior–Google partnership to boost AI skills in the public sector

February 20, 2026

Brad Pitt’s secluded accommodation on Hydra: Why he chose the small hotel in Vlychos (video-photos)

February 20, 2026

Zelensky shocked his ministers according to WSJ: “Get ready for three more years of war”

February 20, 2026
All News

> World

Donald Trump imposes a flat 10% global tariff following Supreme Court ruling

He lashed out at the judges who voted against, saying they are not patriots and calling them “Democrats’ stooges” — “Our opponents are dancing with joy over the decision, but it won’t last long,” he said

February 20, 2026

Zelensky shocked his ministers according to WSJ: “Get ready for three more years of war”

February 20, 2026

Saudi Arabia may acquire uranium enrichment capabilities with the blessing of the US

February 20, 2026

A close associate of Jeffrey Epstein and recruiter of girls was ready to expose the network, but suddenly…disappeared

February 20, 2026

“One step from disaster”: the hard-hitting NASA report on the adventure of astronauts Wilmore and Williams

February 20, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα