×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
17
Aug 2026
weather symbol
Athens 32°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Trump defends Balogun after FIFA suspends World Cup red-card ban

"There were two players running at full speed who simply collided." - The U.S. president defended the soccer player, arguing that the incident did not warrant a red card

Newsroom July 6 06:07

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

U.S. President Donald Trump has defended U.S. striker Folarin Balogun after FIFA suspended the one-match ban linked to his red card against Bosnia and Herzegovina, allowing him to play in the United States’ World Cup last-16 match against Belgium.

Speaking from the Oval Office, the U.S. president said he believed the incident did not warrant a sending-off.

“I’m a person who loves sports. I was a good athlete, and I understand sports very well – really very well,” Trump said.

“That wasn’t a foul. It was two players running at full speed who simply collided. You can’t just lift your foot and place it right on top of someone else’s foot. It was two great athletes who got tangled up with each other.”

Trump also criticised the referee, suggesting his previous decisions deserved scrutiny.

.@POTUS on Balogun's red card: "I've never seen anything like it. I saw the play… that wasn't a foul. That wasn’t even an infraction. That was two guys running full speed that happened to crash into each other… So yes, I asked for a review by FIFA." pic.twitter.com/25PzmogkEt

— Rapid Response 47 (@RapidResponse47) July 6, 2026

“This referee is a bit suspicious. If you look at his past… I don’t want to say it because I don’t like to stir up controversy, but he’s very suspicious,” he said.

The comments followed reports that Trump had contacted FIFA president Gianni Infantino to ask for the decision to be reviewed.

FIFA later announced that the implementation of Balogun’s one-match suspension had been suspended for a one-year probationary period, though the red card itself remains on the record.

>Related articles

Suspected gangster behind Kushner’s Albania land deal faces drug charges

Kushner presses Netanyahu on rejected Gaza plan

Iranian general threatens Washington over Strait of Hormuz claim, offers 30k reward per US soldier

The decision has drawn criticism, with UEFA describing the move as “unprecedented, incomprehensible and unjustifiable,” while Belgium has also questioned the ruling ahead of its knockout match against the United States.


Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Donald Trump#fifa#world cup
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Tourists create waves with accounts of seasickness on Aegean ferry crossings

August 17, 2026

Suspected gangster behind Kushner’s Albania land deal faces drug charges

August 17, 2026

Mecca alliance between Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan creates new challenges for Greek foreign policy

August 17, 2026

British PM duped by White House chief of staff impersonator

August 17, 2026

The Top 8 Museums of Athens

August 17, 2026

Greek Airbnb prices outpacing the rest of Europe this summer

August 17, 2026

Hayden Panettiere dies at 36, star of “Heroes”, “Nashville” and “Scream”

August 17, 2026

Christou strikes gold and Karalis claims silver in double European triumph for Greece

August 17, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα