×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
17
Aug 2026
weather symbol
Athens 26°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Marine Le Pen handed three-year sentence but may remain in contention for 2027 presidential race

It is not yet known whether the deprivation of her right to stand for election deprives her of the right to participate in the presidential election

Newsroom July 7 03:22

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google


Marine Le Pen was handed a three-year prison sentence, two years of it suspended, a €100,000 fine and a reduced period of ineligibility over the misuse of European Parliament funds. The ruling may leave her legally able to contest the 2027 presidential election, although she has previously said she would not campaign while wearing an electronic tag.

Marine Le Pen’s political future remained uncertain on Tuesday after the Paris Court of Appeal upheld her conviction for embezzling public funds, but reduced the penalty that had threatened to remove her from France’s 2027 presidential race.

The leader of National Rally was sentenced to three years in prison, two of them suspended, and fined €100,000. The remaining year is to be served outside prison under electronic monitoring, a condition that could severely complicate any presidential campaign.

The court also handed Le Pen a 45-month ban from holding public office, 30 months of which were suspended. That marks a significant reduction from the five-year ban imposed by a lower court in March 2025, which had taken immediate effect and appeared likely to block her from standing in the next presidential election.

The case centres on the use of European Parliament funds between 2004 and 2016, when Le Pen and other figures from the party, then known as the National Front, were accused of using money intended for parliamentary assistants to pay staff working for the party in France.

Le Pen has consistently denied wrongdoing. During the appeal, her defence argued that the rules governing parliamentary assistants had been unclear and that she had not intended to commit an offence. Prosecutors, on their side, described the arrangement as an organised system that allowed party work to be funded with European public money.

The ruling is a major moment for French politics. Le Pen, 57, has run for president three times and had been widely expected to make a fourth attempt in 2027, when President Emmanuel Macron is constitutionally barred from seeking another consecutive term. Her party has spent years trying to move from the margins of French politics into the mainstream, rebranding itself from the National Front to the National Rally and presenting itself as the principal opposition force.

The judgment also places new pressure on Jordan Bardella, the 30-year-old National Rally president and Le Pen’s political protégé. If Le Pen is unable or unwilling to campaign under electronic monitoring, Bardella is widely seen as the party figure most likely to replace her as its presidential candidate.

>Related articles

French Patroller drones join Greece’s Achilles Shield defence system from September

Christou strikes gold and Karalis claims silver in double European triumph for Greece

GSI: The road map after the entry of France’s Meridiam, the outstanding issues in Cyprus & Israel

Le Pen has previously said she would not run for the presidency while wearing an electronic tag, arguing that such a restriction would make a national campaign impossible in practice, even if the law allowed her to stand.

She may still appeal to France’s highest court, the Court of Cassation. But with the 2027 presidential race already taking shape, the decision leaves an uncomfortable choice: rally behind Le Pen despite the legal restrictions, or accelerate a generational handover to Bardella.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#elections#France#Marine Le Pen#paris
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Budget: Primary surplus at €5.725 billion in the January–July 2026 period

August 17, 2026

Japanese rating agency R&I upgrades outlook for Greek economy from stable to positive

August 17, 2026

Feature in the French magazine Le Point on Kyriakos Pierrakakis: “The Greek who wants to wake Europe up”

August 17, 2026

State Department on GSI: US supports energy security and cooperation in the Eastern Mediterranean

August 17, 2026

How Kim Jong Un circumvented sanctions and funneled up to $22 billion into Pyongyang’s coffers

August 17, 2026

Private helicopter crashes on Sifnos – Three passengers dead

August 17, 2026

Trump: “The primary objective was, is, and always will be to ensure that Iran does not acquire a nuclear weapon”

August 17, 2026

An Illegal immigrant attacked & raped for 20 minutes elderly man outside a church in London, claimed “I wanted to help him”

August 17, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα