×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Tuesday
18
Aug 2026
weather symbol
Athens 31°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Trump strikes again: No talks with Iran, Strait of Hormuz open and operating normally

All mines have been removed or detonated, the US president wrote, referring to the strait – Earlier, Tehran had made clear that the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the US complies with the terms of the agreement

Newsroom August 18 05:05

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

US President Donald Trump has struck again on Truth Social, as shortly after describing the Strait of Hormuz as “new American territory”, he this time said that no talks with Iran are under way or have been scheduled.

In a post on the platform, Trump said that the naval blockade of the Strait of Hormuz remains “in full effect”.

At the same time, he claimed that the strait remains “open and operating normally”.

“There are no talks or discussions going on or scheduled with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The naval blockade remains in full effect. The Strait of Hormuz is open and operating normally. All underwater mines have been removed or detonated. Thank you for your attention to this matter!” he wrote.

Iran: Strait of Hormuz to remain closed until US complies with terms of agreement

The Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the United States fulfils the terms of the interim agreement it signed with Iran in June, senior Iranian negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said earlier.

Speaking to the Iranian parliament, Ghalibaf said that the conditions set by Tehran include lifting the US blockade of Iranian ports, removing sanctions on oil exports, unfreezing Iranian assets, as well as ending threats and military operations on all fronts.

The 17 June agreement and dispute over the strait

The memorandum of understanding between Washington and Tehran was reached on 17 June, but quickly reached an impasse due to disagreement over control of the Strait of Hormuz.

Donald Trump said on 7 July that the agreement was “over”, while a week later Iran’s Foreign Ministry announced that the memorandum had been “suspended”.

Under the memorandum, Iran and the United States had committed to negotiating a final agreement that would cover broader issues, including the future of Iran’s nuclear program.

>Related articles

“Minoan Dignity”: Chief engineer of Greek-owned ship killed after attack in the Strait of Hormuz

Oil: 2.5% surge with Brent above $90, US-Iran standoff fuels $100 scenarios

New tension between Russia and Japan over the Kuril Islands: Moscow summoned the Japanese Ambassador

A maximum period of 60 days had been set for the negotiations to be completed, with the possibility of an extension subject to the agreement of both sides.

Iran: Moving to a “fully offensive” posture

Meanwhile, a senior Iranian official told Reuters on Monday that Tehran now intends to adopt a “fully offensive” posture, as diplomatic efforts to achieve a permanent end to the conflict have reached an impasse.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#iran#President Donald Trump#Strait of Hormuz#usa#world
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Diddy on the witness list for the Tupac murder trial, as prosecutors link him to the defendant

August 18, 2026

Dior PR director and film producer partner killed in car crash in France

August 18, 2026

Trump strikes again: No talks with Iran, Strait of Hormuz open and operating normally

August 18, 2026

Dourou expels Kasimati and calls on Gerovasili to surrender her seat, leaving SYRIZA with 10 MPs

August 18, 2026

“Minoan Dignity”: Chief engineer of Greek-owned ship killed after attack in the Strait of Hormuz

August 18, 2026

Turkey’s marine parks push Greek-Turkish relations to a dangerous turning point

August 18, 2026

British couple killed in Sifnos helicopter crash named as Blackstone banker and his wife

August 18, 2026

Fire breaks out in Komara, Evros; helicopter deployed

August 18, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα