×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Tuesday
17
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 15°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

The real “Undead”! Romanian man cannot prove to court he is alive!

The court has rejected the man’s claim after his wife officially registered him as dead

Newsroom March 16 09:57

A Romanian court has rejected a man’s claim that he is alive after his wife officially registered him as dead, saying that the decision cannot be reversed.

A spokeswoman for the court told local news outlets on Friday that the man, Constantin Reliu, 63, lost his case in the northeast city of Vasului because he had appealed too late.

The ruling is final.

Local news reports on the case said that Mr. Reliu had lost contact with his wife and family when he traveled to Turkey in 1992 for work.

Hearing no news from her husband for years, his wife got a death certificate for him in 2016.

The authorities in Turkey found Mr. Reliu this year with expired papers and deported him. But when he arrived in Romania, he discovered he had been declared dead.

Further details were not immediately available.

>Related articles

Former New Democracy minister Anastasios Papaligouras dies

Last surviving grandson of Eleftherios Venizelos dies at 102

The moving “farewell” to the seven PAOK supporters at Toumba, with chants and flares (videos-photos)

“I am officially dead, although I’m alive,” Mr. Reliu was quoted as saying in local news reports. “I have no income and because I am listed dead, I can’t do anything.”

source: nytimes.com

 

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#alive#Athens Court#dead#romania
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Fast-moving storm from the west: Tsatrafyllias warns of flooding in 8 regions

February 17, 2026

Zoe, the MP and the daughter-in-law; two “no’s” to Trump are too many; Optima in talks with Europa Insurance; the lawyers’ shortlist; the new tactic of the funds

February 17, 2026

The second liberation of Northern Epirus by the Hellenic Army and the incredible bravery of Lieutenant Leontokianakos

February 17, 2026

Pavlos De Grec speaks out and intervenes, but is not forming a party: What his plans are

February 17, 2026

Kaisariani documents move into a claim trajectory: Ministry of Culture delegation in Ghent, investigation into whether more material exists

February 17, 2026

The “X-ray” of the 4 Chevron hydrocarbon contracts: Investments up to €1 billion, public revenues up to 40%

February 17, 2026

Pierarakis: Eleni Glykatzi-Arveler was the most tangible proof of the power generated by dedication to knowledge

February 16, 2026

The execution of the 200 in Kaisariani by German occupation forces: The stories and relics of the fallen

February 16, 2026
All News

> Economy

Robeson Reeves: Our plan is paying off, scale and size are an advantage

CEO of Bally’s Intralot, talks on structural advantage, responsibility at scale, and how disciplined growth is redefining the global gaming industry

February 16, 2026

How the ring operated that opened and shut down restaurants and bars using “straw men” to evade VAT and social-security contributions—dismantled by the AADE

February 15, 2026

Contracts with Chevron–Helleniq Energy to be signed tomorrow: When seismic surveys begin

February 15, 2026

Countdown to tax returns: What taxpayers need to check in the pre-filled data

February 14, 2026

From Faliro to Voula: Who is building the Athenian Riviera

February 13, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα