×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
16
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 16°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Ukraine is no longer low on artillery ammo because Russia abandoned so much in recent retreats, report says

Ukraine's soldiers faced severe shortages of ammunition earlier in the war

Newsroom October 6 09:01

Ammunition left behind by fleeing Russian troops is filling Ukraine’s depleted reserves and powering its counter-offensive, according to The Wall Street Journal.

Russia’s hurried retreat from Kharkiv in early September saw soldiers abandoning a mass of hardware, including tanks, other armored vehicles and howitzers.

They also left behind huge quantities of Soviet-caliber artillery shells, the paper reported.

“The Russians no longer have a firepower advantage,” one unnamed artillery officer told the paper.

See Also:

Alexandroupolis redraws the military map of Southern Europe – Analysis

>Related articles

The Kremlin “categorically rejects” the finding on the murder of Navalny with poison

Britain too is considering banning social media use for children under 16

Erdogan’s visit to Abu Dhabi postponed, what did the Turkish president invoke?

“We smashed up all their artillery units before launching the offensive, and then we started to move ahead so fast that they didn’t even have time to fuel up and load their tanks. They just fled and left everything behind.”

That equipment is being turned on Russian forces as Ukraine advances beyond the recently recaptured city of Lyman in the Donbas region, the WSJ reported.

Read more: yahoo

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#ammunition#Artillery#russia#ukraine#world
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Taxis tomorrow (17/2): Drivers’ strike in Attica through Thursday

February 16, 2026

American Hellenic Institute leadership attends 2026 leadership 100 conference

February 16, 2026

Nikos Plakias speaks to Protothema: The pressure, xylene, Karystianou, and the last photo of the girls from inside the train

February 16, 2026

Second wave of acquisitions in education: Foreign funds now investing in private schools across Greece’s regions

February 16, 2026

Adonis Georgiades filed a lawsuit against Zoe Konstantopoulou at Evelpidon

February 16, 2026

The Kremlin “categorically rejects” the finding on the murder of Navalny with poison

February 16, 2026

Britain too is considering banning social media use for children under 16

February 16, 2026

Robeson Reeves: Our plan is paying off, scale and size are an advantage

February 16, 2026
All News

> Politics

Adonis Georgiades filed a lawsuit against Zoe Konstantopoulou at Evelpidon

Watch video - "I file lawsuits during the day and wearing a suit" said the Minister of Health - The lawsuit is about Mrs Konstantopoulou's references against him about Violanda

February 16, 2026

Greece signs agreements with Chevron for Hydrocarbons in Crete and the Peloponnese in the presence of Mitsotakis

February 16, 2026

GPO Poll: ND Steadily Above 30%, PASOK Second, Small Drop for Tsipras and Karystianou

February 16, 2026

Asylum revoked for the president of the Pakistani Community in Greece, Javed Aslam

February 16, 2026

Asylum revoked for 33 migrants in two weeks – Order by Thanos Plevris for the re-examination of hundreds of cases

February 16, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα