×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Friday
22
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 25°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Middle East: ‘Red line’ for the US not to include Hezbollah in the next Lebanese government

US Deputy Middle East Envoy Morgan Ortagus visits Lebanon

Newsroom February 7 03:30

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

The US has set a red line that the Shiite armed group Hezbollah should not be part of Lebanon’s next government after its military defeat by Israel last year, Morgan Ortagus, the US deputy envoy for the Middle East, said from Lebanon today.

Ortagus is the first high-ranking US official to visit Lebanon since US President Donald Trump took office and Josef Aoun was elected president.

Her visit comes as forming a cabinet is at a standstill in Lebanon. Positions in the government are divided between factions. The Amal movement, an ally of Hezbollah, insists on approving all Shiite Muslim ministers, keeping the process at a standstill.

Speaking to reporters after a meeting with President Aoun, Ortagus said she“is not afraid” of pro-Iranian Hezbollah “because they were defeated militarily, referring to last year’s war between the group and Israel.

“And we have set clear red lines from the US that they will not be able to terrorize the Lebanese people and that includes participating in the government, she said.

“The end of Hezbollah’s reign of terror in Lebanon and the world has begun, and it is over,”
she added.

According to her, “Israel defeated Hezbollah and we are grateful to our ally Israel for defeating it.”

Ortagus was widely expected to deliver a tough message to Lebanese officials about Hezbollah, which was hammered by months of Israeli airstrikes and ground operations in southern Lebanon last year.

Hostilities ended in late November with a ceasefire brokered by the United States and France, which set a 60-day deadline for Israel to withdraw from southern Lebanon, Hezbollah to withdraw its fighters and weapons, and Lebanese troops to deploy to the area.

The deadline was extended to February 18. The Ortagus referred today to the new date but did not say clearly that the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) would withdraw from Lebanese territory.

>Related articles

In Nicosia, Kyriakos Pierrakakis for Eurogroup, ECOFIN: housing and the impact of the Middle East crisis on the agenda

Athens International Airport maintains its forecast for passenger traffic growth in 2026 despite the crisis in the Middle East

The Government Council for Foreign Affairs and Defence (KYSEA) is meeting under the Prime Minister at the Maximos Mansion, with the agenda items

“February 18 will be the date for redeployment when the IDF troops will complete their redeployment, and of course, the (Lebanese) troops will come behind them, so we are committed to that specific date, she said.

Ortagus is expected to meet with Lebanon’s acting Prime Minister Nawaf Salam and Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri—who also heads Amal—and travel to southern Lebanon with the Lebanese army.

 

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Hezbollah#Lebanese government#Middle East
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

The Best Greek Swimsuit and Resortwear Brands to Know This Summer

May 22, 2026

Turkey: CHP appeals to Turkey’s Supreme Administrative Court over removal of its leadership

May 22, 2026

Ozzy Osbourne: “I still look for you in every part of life that should include you,” writes his daughter

May 22, 2026

Papastergiou on electric scooters: How the ban on minors will be implemented, with kids wallet the procedure

May 22, 2026

SpaceX: Why it canceled the Starship V3 launch 40 seconds before liftoff

May 22, 2026

Thessaloniki Metro closes on Friday 29/5 for 2.5 weeks – The extension project to Kalamaria is underway

May 22, 2026

Ticket issue for the Final Four: Olympiacos in constant contact with EuroLeague to resolve issue for ticket holders

May 22, 2026

Spy “thriller” at the Presidential Palace in Skopje

May 22, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα