2020 is far from over…
Amid a pandemic, civil unrest and a divisive US election season, we now have an asteroid zooming toward us.
On the day before the presidential vote, no less.
Yep. The celestial object known as 2018VP1 is projected to come close to Earth on November 2, according to the Center for Near Earth Objects Studies at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory. It was first identified at Palomar Observatory in California in 2018.
“Asteroid 2018VP1 is very small, approximately 6.5 feet, and poses no threat to Earth. If it were to enter our planet’s atmosphere, it would disintegrate due to its extremely small size,” NASA said in a statement. “NASA has been directed by Congress to discover 90% of the near-Earth asteroids larger than 140 meters (459 feet) in size and reports on asteroids of any size.”
NASA says that, “based on 21 observations spanning 12.968 days,” the agency has determined the asteroid probably -phew!- won’t have a deep impact, let alone bring Armageddon.
The chance of it hitting us is just 0.41%, data show.
- Pasta with spetzofai sauceSpetzofai is a rustic spicy Greek dish that is made with thick sausages and long green and red peppers in a rich tomato sauce.
- Beef with peas and potatoesThe perfect family meal is here with healthy peas and beef full of protein! Kids will surely love it… Serve with crusty bread! Serves: 4 Prep. time: 15′ Cooks in: 1:40′ Ready in: 1:55 Ingredients 1 kg beef flatiron 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil 1 garlic clove, finely chopped 1 tbsp tomato paste ½ cup […]
- Goji berry chocolate porridgeA chocolaty goodness, an amazing comforting breakfast dish that the whole family will love! No added sugar, full of protein and chocolate!
- Sardine cevicheEnjoy this recipe on toast or crackers or as a bruschetta. It is both healthy and yummy!
- Zucchini hummusZucchini replaces chickpeas here, so this recipe is lower in carbohydrates and a nice choice for those with intolerance to legumes. Zucchini is very hydrating so you will need to add only a few drops of olive oil, making it lower in calories!
The wild animals have even reached the city centre Read more →
Junior and senior high schools to open on May 10 Read more →
World No.2 Nadal won his fourth Laureus Read more →