×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Sunday
22
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 11°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Islamic State claims responsibility for Nice truck carnage

Statement was released by the Amaq media agency

Newsroom July 16 11:58

ISIS is claiming responsibility for this week’s terror attack in the French city of Nice, in which 84 people were killed after a man drove a truck through a large crowd watching fireworks and celebrating Bastille Day, the French day of independence.
The statement was released by the Amaq media agency, which often distributes news on the group’s behalf. In the statement it calls the attacker in Nice “one of the soldiers of the Islamic State,” who responded to calls from ISIS to target citizens of the international coalition that is currently carrying out air strikes against ISIS targets in Syria and Iraq.
It has been part of ISIS’ method to claim responsibility for attacks around the world that the group has had no hand  in planning or directing. At the same time, some of the attackers, such as the Orlando nightclub shooter, managed to pledge allegiance to ISIS before entering the club last month and firing on dozens of people, killing 49.
French authorities identified the driver as Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, 31, who worked as a delivery driver. Born in Tunisia, he was also a resident of Nice. He was known to authorities and was given a suspended six-month sentence for committing violence with a weapon. His father, who lives in Tunisia, said Bouhlel had had mental health issues. There has been nothing so far from the authorities’ investigation to suggest he’d been acting under orders from ISIS, or had been radicalised before carrying out the attack.
Five other people have been taken into custody, French officials report.

isis1

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Marc poll for “Proto Thema”: ND at 31.4%, Mitsotakis “playing” without a rival

February 22, 2026

Kyriakos Mitsotakis: Hydrocarbon exploration guarantees security against those who challenge our sovereign rights

February 22, 2026

Water scarcity: Better news for Lake Mornos after the rains – “We must not become complacent,” experts say

February 22, 2026

Military service is changing: Everyone in the Army, 10 weeks of basic training, €100 allowance in border areas

February 22, 2026

Trump raised the new tariffs to 15% on all imports from all countries

February 21, 2026

With the weather on our side for the Carnival parades and Koulouma: “It’s time to unwind,” says Kolydas

February 21, 2026

A wolf attacked a group of walkers at the Royal Estates in Tatoi!

February 21, 2026

Venezuela: Amnesty granted to 379 political prisoners

February 21, 2026
All News

> Greece

Water scarcity: Better news for Lake Mornos after the rains – “We must not become complacent,” experts say

The “wet” year improves reserves, but the water level remains 26% below average – What the data show for the islands and climate change

February 22, 2026

Military service is changing: Everyone in the Army, 10 weeks of basic training, €100 allowance in border areas

February 22, 2026

With the weather on our side for the Carnival parades and Koulouma: “It’s time to unwind,” says Kolydas

February 21, 2026

A wolf attacked a group of walkers at the Royal Estates in Tatoi!

February 21, 2026

Bad weather with an “orange” warning before Carnival, improvement on Clean Monday for kite flying

February 21, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα