×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
16
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 16°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

UN seeks “immediate” heavy arms pullout in Eastern Ukraine

The EU in March extended by a further six months sanctions against Russian & Ukrainian officials over their suspected involvement in the eastern Ukraine conflict

Newsroom June 7 01:38

The UN Security Council condemned yesterday (6 June) “continuous violations of the ceasefire” in Ukraine’s east and called for an immediate withdrawal of heavy weapons.

Written by France with support from Germany, the resolution also sought expanded efforts to help affected civilians.

The resolution, unanimously adopted by the Council, underlined “grave concern about the recent deterioration of the security situation in eastern Ukraine and its severe impact on the civilian population.”

It is the first public comment since January 2017 by the United Nations on the conflict between Ukraine and pro-Russian separatists.

“It’s been a long time since the Council adopted anything on Ukraine and we are very happy,” Russia’s UN Ambassador Vassily Nebenzia told reporters.

euk

Berlin and Moscow, along with Paris, signed peace agreements in Minsk in 2015 that aimed to put an end to fighting between Russia-backed fighters and Ukrainian troops.

More than 10,000 people have been killed since the conflict began in April 2014.

Russia supportive

The UN text is “very constructive, which confirms the validity and the sole validity of the Minsk Agreements” as the platform to reach a political solution, said Nebenzia, whose country this month holds the Council’s rotating presidency.

“It is especially important today when the Minsk Agreements are being sabotaged by some parties,” he continued, in an implied reference to Kyiv.

The conflict in eastern Ukraine began after mass protests ousted a pro-Russian government in Kyiv, pro-Russian forces in eastern Ukraine rebelled, and Russia annexed Ukraine’s Crimea region that same year.

Kyiv and Moscow-backed rebels have repeatedly accused each other of violating a number of truces.

The European Union in March extended by a further six months sanctions against Russian and Ukrainian officials over their suspected involvement in the eastern Ukraine conflict.

Evoking “the tragic humanitarian situation,” the Security Council emphasized the need “for scaling up efforts to alleviate suffering of the civilian population affected by the conflict.”

France’s UN Ambassador Francois Delattre told reporters this was the first time that language had been agreed to on the eastern Ukraine humanitarian situation.

The text “sends a strong signal on putting into effect the Minsk agreements and underlines the unity of the members of the Security Council” to make gains, Delattre said.

French, German, Russian and Ukrainian ministers are to meet Monday in Berlin to revive the stalled Ukrainian peace process.

Germany’s foreign minister announces meeting of Normandy foreign ministers in Berlin on June 11 https://t.co/Lw8x8Kibsr pic.twitter.com/EqI50Q4db4

— Interfax-Ukraine.Eng (@InterfaxUkr) June 1, 2018

>Related articles

Politico on the Munich Conference: Europe is spending more on defense and can stand up to the US

Munich Conference formalizes the rift: Rubio cancels last-minute Ukraine meeting – “We must free ourselves from dependence on the US,” say Merz & Macron

Bloomberg: US back-and-forth forces Europe to consider developing a unified nuclear deterrent

France has underlined that review of Europe’s sanctions against Moscow depends on progress.

Source: euractiv

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#conflict#eu#europe#russia#ukraine#UN
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Britain too is considering banning social media use for children under 16

February 16, 2026

Robeson Reeves: Our plan is paying off, scale and size are an advantage

February 16, 2026

Erdogan’s visit to Abu Dhabi postponed, what did the Turkish president invoke?

February 16, 2026

Warner Bros is considering re-entering talks with Paramount: What this means for Netflix

February 16, 2026

The Belgian seller to protothema: Why I withdrew from eBay the photos of the 200 executed people of Kaisariani

February 16, 2026

“Tehran” creator Dana Eden is the Israeli found dead in an Athens Hotel – “Murder claims are false”

February 16, 2026

Greece signs agreements with Chevron for Hydrocarbons in Crete and the Peloponnese in the presence of Mitsotakis

February 16, 2026

GPO Poll: ND Steadily Above 30%, PASOK Second, Small Drop for Tsipras and Karystianou

February 16, 2026
All News

> Politics

Greece signs agreements with Chevron for Hydrocarbons in Crete and the Peloponnese in the presence of Mitsotakis

The four concession contracts for offshore blocks were signed at the Maximos Mansion – The agreements open a new chapter in the development of domestic hydrocarbons

February 16, 2026

GPO Poll: ND Steadily Above 30%, PASOK Second, Small Drop for Tsipras and Karystianou

February 16, 2026

Asylum revoked for the president of the Pakistani Community in Greece, Javed Aslam

February 16, 2026

Asylum revoked for 33 migrants in two weeks – Order by Thanos Plevris for the re-examination of hundreds of cases

February 16, 2026

Kyriakos Mitsotakis sends a message of electoral mobilization to New Democracy officials and continues pressure on PASOK

February 16, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα