×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Wednesday
18
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 11°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> Culture

John Singleton, maker of “Boyz N the Hood”, dies at 51

Singleton’s family said Monday that he died in Los Angeles, surrounded by family and friends, after being taken off life support

Newsroom April 30 02:01

Director John Singleton, who made one of Hollywood’s most memorable debuts with the Oscar-nominated “Boyz N the Hood” and continued over the following decades to probe the lives of black communities in his native Los Angeles and beyond, has died. He was 51.

>Related articles

Bulgaria holds early parliamentary elections on 19 April, eighth in five years

Washington moves closer to declaring war on Iran, even immediately: “Trump’s patience is running out”

Greek-Indian relations: How Greece unlocks the world’s largest market

Singleton’s family said Monday that he died in Los Angeles, surrounded by family and friends, after being taken off life support. Earlier this month, the director suffered a major stroke.

Singleton was in his early 20s, just out of the University of Southern California’s School of Cinematic Arts, when he wrote, directed and produced “Boyz N the Hood.” Based on Singleton’s upbringing and shot in his old neighborhood, the low-budget production starred Cuba Gooding Jr. and Ice Cube and centered on three friends in South Central Los Angeles, where college aspirations competed with the pressures of gang life. “Boyz N the Hood” was a critical and commercial hit, given a 20-minute standing ovation at the Cannes Film Festival and praised as a groundbreaking extension of rap to the big screen, a realistic and compassionate take on race, class, peer pressure and family. Singleton would later call it a “rap album on film”.

Read more HERE

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#cinema#culture#dead#died#dies#director#film#hollywood#John Singleton#life-support#movies#usa#world
> More Culture

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Owner of Violanta, Konstantinos Tziortziotis, remanded in custody after five-hour testimony

February 18, 2026

Hoxha’s secret naval base inside a mountain in Albania, the clash with the Russians, and the theft of the submarines

February 18, 2026

Ten centuries-old olive trees in New Heraklion, Attica

February 18, 2026

The photos of the execution of the 200 in Kaisariani are authentic; declared a monument by the Ministry of Culture, opening the way for their acquisition

February 18, 2026

Bulgaria holds early parliamentary elections on 19 April, eighth in five years

February 18, 2026

Kaklamanis: Parliament will hire one of the 12 children of a large family

February 18, 2026

Washington moves closer to declaring war on Iran, even immediately: “Trump’s patience is running out”

February 18, 2026

At least 38 killed in mine explosion in Nigeria

February 18, 2026
All News

> Politics

Kaklamanis: Parliament will hire one of the 12 children of a large family

What the Speaker of Parliament revealed at a conference on demographics held at the former Kapnergostasio

February 18, 2026

Greek-Indian relations: How Greece unlocks the world’s largest market

February 18, 2026

Kimberly Guilfoyle: Greece exemplifies Trump’s vision of “peace through strength”

February 18, 2026

Trump at the credential presentation of new ambassador Alexandridis: “I would like to visit Greece, our relations have never been stronger”

February 18, 2026

Anna Psarouda-Benaki: Her funeral at the First Cemetery of Athens – See videos and photos

February 18, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα