×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
18
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 20°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Turkey attacks US Special Forces in Syria, apparently by mistake

Instead of returning fire, the Special Forces withdrew once the shelling had ceased

Newsroom October 12 10:01

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

A contingent of U.S. Special Forces was caught up in Turkish shelling against U.S.-backed Kurdish positions in northern Syria, days after President Donald Trump told his Turkish counterpart he would withdraw U.S. troops from certain positions in the area. A senior Pentagon official said shelling by the Turkish forces was so heavy that the U.S. personnel considered firing back in self-defense.

>Related articles

The sister of Ireland’s president is among the Gaza activists arrested by Israel

Trump is threatening again: No concessions to Tehran – They know what will happen

Taiwan excluded from the WHO Annual General Assembly at the request of China

Newsweek has learned through both an Iraqi Kurdish intelligence official and the senior Pentagon official that Special Forces operating on Mashtenour hill in the majority-Kurdish city of Kobani fell under artillery fire from Turkish forces conducting their so-called “Operation Peace Spring” against Kurdish fighters backed by the U.S. but considered terrorist organizations by Turkey. No injuries have been reported.

Instead of returning fire, the Special Forces withdrew once the shelling had ceased. Newsweek previously reported Wednesday that the current rules of engagement for U.S. forces continue to be centered around self-defense and that no order has been issued by the Pentagon for a complete withdrawal from Syria.

Read more HERE

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#bombing#defence#kurds#military#mistake#syria#turkey#us soldiers#usa#war#world
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

The sister of Ireland’s president is among the Gaza activists arrested by Israel

May 18, 2026

Trump is threatening again: No concessions to Tehran – They know what will happen

May 18, 2026

Polakis: I was and will always be SYRIZA, it’s a joke to be an independent MP

May 18, 2026

Kyriakos Mitsotakis at the General Assembly of the Association of Greek Tourism Enterprises (SETE)

May 18, 2026

Taiwan excluded from the WHO Annual General Assembly at the request of China

May 18, 2026

Deviation from the EU over the non-recognition of the Pontic Genocide, says Nikitas Kaklamanis

May 18, 2026

Gradual reopening of the Strait of Hormuz with roles for Pakistan, Oman, and a “freeze” of the nuclear program: What Tehran is requesting in its revised proposal to the US

May 18, 2026

Eleni Avlonitou has left SYRIZA, heading to the Tsipras party

May 18, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα