×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Wednesday
18
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 11°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Harvey Weinstein guilty of rape and sex assault in MeToo trial

Weinstein faces a sentence of between five and 25 years in prison for the conviction of first-degree criminal sexual act

Newsroom February 24 07:57

Film producer Harvey Weinsten was found guilty of rape and a criminal sexual act on Monday, more than two years after news articles about his alleged serial sexual abuse of women ignited the MeToo movement.

But Weinstein, 67, was found not guilty in Manhattan court of the most serious charges in the case, two counts of predatory sexual assault, charges for which he had faced a possible life sentence in prison.

He also was acquitted of first-degree rape by the jury of seven men and five women, who had deliberated in the case for about 25 hours.

Weinstein, who had been free on bond during the trial, was handcuffed and ordered held without bail in jail pending his sentencing by Judge James Burke on March 11.

>Related articles

Canadian mining company suspends operations in Cuba due to fuel shortage

Three dead, including the trans gunman, in shooting at a hockey arena in Rhode Island

EU investigation against Shein for sex dolls with childlike features

“Weinstein is a vicious, serial sexual predator who used his power to threaten, rape, assault, trick, humiliate and silence his victims,” said Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr., whose office prosecuted the case.

“These women were not just brave, they were heroic,” Vance said of the women who testified against the movie mogul.

Read more: cnbc

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

##metoo movement#Harvey Weinstein#hollywood#rape#sexual harassment#trial#world
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Canadian mining company suspends operations in Cuba due to fuel shortage

February 17, 2026

Testimonies about Violanta: Since early December, the owner had been searching for the leak with a plumber without a license – Read shocking employee accounts

February 17, 2026

Weather: Rain and thunderstorms again on Friday, noticeable drop in temperature over the weekend, clear skies on Clean Monday

February 17, 2026

Pierrakakis: The international role of the euro is the strategic response to the economic challenges facing Europe

February 17, 2026

Mitsotakis in India on Wednesday and Thursday, meeting with Prime Minister Modi

February 17, 2026

40-year record for Mediterranean monk seal births in Greece – watch the video

February 17, 2026

Which Greek island ranks among the world’s 13 top destinations for slow travel

February 17, 2026

Court “halts” telemarketing: €50,000 compensation for nuisance calls

February 17, 2026
All News

> Lifestyle

Emma Stone in a little black dress from Julie de Libran’s runway — and Aquazzura sandals

Floral appliqués were a key motif of the designer’s Spring 2026 couture collection, although none had the dark, almost gothic mood of the one worn by Stone

February 11, 2026

Chris Hemsworth on his marriage proposal to Elsa Pataki: “There was a kind of ‘I don’t have anything better to do right now vibe’

February 11, 2026

Kimberly Guilfoyle will be the maid of honor for Konstantinos Argyros and Alexandra Nika: “It’s an honor and a blessing”

February 9, 2026

Elena Topalidou on working with Nicolas Cage: “When he saw me, he said I stood out

February 8, 2026

Gwyneth Paltrow to Gala: ‘When you have a dream, there is no Plan B

February 6, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα