×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Friday
22
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 18°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> Culture

Archaeologists discovered dozens of headless bodies in a 7,000-year-old mass grave

The heads may have been severed in a brutal act of war or by priests to honor the dead

Newsroom January 23 11:01

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Archaeologists have discovered a 7,000-year-old mass grave in Slovakia containing 38 skeletons, with all but one decapitated.

The remains were found at the Vrá ble-Vèlke Lehemby site in Slovakia, one of the largest settlements of the European Neolithic period.

Early studies suggest the heads were removed purposefully after death, an author of the study told Insider. Only one skeleton belonging to a child under the age of 6 had its skull intact.

Archaeologists are now trying to understand why the heads were so methodically removed. Was this meant as a warning, a funerary ritual, or a way to honor the dead?

See Also:

>Related articles

What does it mean that the Patriarch of Constantinople is “Ecumenical”?

From Vinyl to Streaming: The playlist generations without a “musical identity”

Mitsotakis at the Palace of the Despots in Mystras: Culture is a chain of our national strength

Gay Atlanta couple charged with raping adopted sons also “pimped them out to other local pedophiles”

These headless bodies set themselves apart from traditional burials in the same region, said Katharina Fuchs, an anthropologist at Kiel University, Germany, who worked on the dig.

Read more: yahoo

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#archaeology#bodies#culture#discovery#headless#world
> More Culture

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

What does it mean that the Patriarch of Constantinople is “Ecumenical”?

May 21, 2026

From Vinyl to Streaming: The playlist generations without a “musical identity”

May 21, 2026

Mitsotakis at the Palace of the Despots in Mystras: Culture is a chain of our national strength

May 21, 2026

Archbishop Simeon: We are confident that Egypt is making every effort to ensure that Mount Sinai continues its eternal course unhindered

May 21, 2026

The Kremlin is open to dialogue with the Europeans on the war in Ukraine

May 21, 2026

Alexandros Giotopoulos, the leader of the 17 November organization who had been sentenced to life imprisonment, was released after 24 years in prison

May 21, 2026

Henry Nowak: Student killed in knife attack as two-tier policing questions grow in murder trial

May 21, 2026

Rubio: US-Iran deal is “unfeasible” if tolls are imposed on the Strait of Hormuz

May 21, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα