×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Friday
20
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 13°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Zelensky blocked from Sanremo Song Festival Saturday

The highly anticipated Sanremo fest, perhaps Italy's biggest entertainment show of the year

Newsroom February 8 04:14

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky will not appear on a video link on the last night of this week’s Sanremo Song Festival Saturday, as previously announced, but will only send a written message to the annual music extravaganza after protests against his appearance at the fest, prime time entertainment chief at Rai TV, Stefano Coletta, said Monday.
The message will be read out by host and organizer Amadeus, Coletta said.
Coletta said Rai had been in constant touch with Ukrainian Deputy Foreign Minister Andriy Melnyk over the controversial appearance, which many Italian politicians said was inappropriate for a light entertainment event.
Other commentators said it risked trivializing the war against the Russian invasion.
But many others said they had no problem with giving the Ukrainian leader a platform to voice his gratitude to Italy for its aid.
Coletta said it would have been “complicated to censor the president”, who has appeared in other entertainment events on video link, such as last year’s Grammys.
“We are in daily contact with Ambassador Melnyk. We arrived at the definition of the Ukrainian president’s speech yesterday: he will not send a video, but a text that will be read on stage by Amadeus,” said Coletta.
The highly anticipated Sanremo fest, perhaps Italy’s biggest entertainment show of the year, runs from Tuesday through Saturday.

source ansa.it

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Sanremo Song Festival#Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Reactions to Rosie Huntington’s appearance: “My God, what’s wrong with her face?”

February 20, 2026

The Herodion closes for three years: It will reopen with a new entrance, roof, lighting, no speaker towers, and an expanded forecourt

February 20, 2026

Marilyn Monroe’s Palm Springs home listed for $3.3 million

February 20, 2026

Donald Trump imposes a flat 10% global tariff following Supreme Court ruling

February 20, 2026

What would happen if drones flew over Greek airports? The state apparatus is “training” for hybrid threats and illegal flights

February 20, 2026

New Ministry of Interior–Google partnership to boost AI skills in the public sector

February 20, 2026

Brad Pitt’s secluded accommodation on Hydra: Why he chose the small hotel in Vlychos (video-photos)

February 20, 2026

Zelensky shocked his ministers according to WSJ: “Get ready for three more years of war”

February 20, 2026
All News

> Politics

New Ministry of Interior–Google partnership to boost AI skills in the public sector

The Home Office and Google initiative is expected to focus from 2026 onwards on further strengthening practical AI and digital work skills

February 20, 2026

The strengthening of the Greece–USA strategic defense relationship was at the center of the meeting between Dendias and a delegation from the US Congress

February 20, 2026

Giannis Kefalogiannis: Managing natural disasters is not a one-off policy, but a long-term strategy

February 20, 2026

Dendias to meet with US congress delegation on Friday

February 19, 2026

Adonis Georgiadis on the incidents in Nikaia: “They would have killed me without the riot police

February 19, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα