×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
16
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 14°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Middle East – Reuters: US mediators working on 60-day ceasefire in Lebanon

The two-month period will be used to finalise the full implementation of UN Security Council Resolution 1701, which will lead to a complete cessation of fighting

Newsroom October 30 02:58

 

American mediators are working on a proposal to gradually curb hostilities between Israel‘s army and the Lebanese armed group Hezbollah, starting with a 60-day ceasefire, two sources with knowledge of the talks told Reuters today.

The sources—one with knowledge of the talks and a senior diplomatic source working on matters related to Lebanon—stated that the two-month period would be used to finalize the full implementation of UN Security Council Resolution 1701, adopted in 2006, to ensure that southern Lebanon remains free of any weapons not controlled by the Lebanese state.

The U.S. Embassy in Lebanon has not yet responded to a request for comment.

Resolution 1701 forms the cornerstone of the discussions to end the recent fighting between Israel and Hezbollah, which has escalated dramatically over the past five weeks amid the Gaza war.

U.S. Presidential Envoy Amos Hochstein, who is working on the new proposal, stated to reporters in Beirut earlier this month that better enforcement mechanisms are needed, as neither Israel nor Lebanon has fully implemented the resolution.

The senior diplomatic source and the source familiar with the talks told Reuters that the two-month ceasefire replaced a proposal last month from the United States and other countries that called for a 21-day ceasefire before full implementation of Resolution 1701.

However, both warned that the agreement may fail. “There is a serious push to achieve a ceasefire, but it’s still challenging to ensure its implementation,” the diplomatic source said.

The person familiar with the talks said Israel continues to insist on its right to “direct enforcement” of the ceasefire through airstrikes or other military operations against Hezbollah if it violates the agreement.

Israeli television network Channel 12 reported that Israel is seeking a strengthened version of UN Resolution 1701 to allow intervention if it feels its security is threatened.

Lebanon has not yet been formally informed of the proposal and is unable to comment on its details, Lebanese officials stated.

The push for a ceasefire in Lebanon comes just days before the U.S. presidential elections and alongside a similar diplomatic effort for Gaza.

Axios reported that Hochstein and U.S. Presidential Advisor Brett McGurk are arriving in Israel on Thursday as part of efforts to reach an agreement for Lebanon, which could be implemented within weeks, according to three unnamed sources.

>Related articles

Greece–Turkey in “calm waters” until the elections, following the Mitsotakis–Erdogan meeting in Ankara

Adonis Georgiades filed a lawsuit against Zoe Konstantopoulou at Evelpidon

The Kremlin “categorically rejects” the finding on the murder of Navalny with poison

Hochstein and McGurk are expected to meet with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Defense Minister Yoav Gallant, and Strategic Affairs Minister Ron Dermer, Axios reported.

Israeli and American officials believe that Hezbollah may ultimately be willing to distance itself from Hamas in Gaza after some of the setbacks the Lebanese group has faced in the past two months, including the assassination of its leader Hassan Nasrallah, according to Axios.

The U.S. State Department has not yet responded to a request for comment.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#ceasefire#diplomacy#Hezbollah#islamic terrorism#israel#Lebanon#Middle East#politics#UN#usa#world
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

The execution of the 200 in Kaisariani by German occupation forces: The stories and relics of the fallen

February 16, 2026

St. Peter’s Basilica Square to fully open to the public, café to double in size, real-time booking system to be introduced

February 16, 2026

Over 70 non-governmental organisations oppose the European migration reform plan

February 16, 2026

The great Byzantinologist Eleni Glykatzi-Arveler died at the age of 99

February 16, 2026

Alexis Tsipras presents “Ithaki” in Larissa today

February 16, 2026

Greece–Turkey in “calm waters” until the elections, following the Mitsotakis–Erdogan meeting in Ankara

February 16, 2026

Kilauea Volcano erupted again: the lava jets reached 400 metres, see video

February 16, 2026

Logan Paul sold a rare Pokemon card for the astronomical sum of $16.5 million

February 16, 2026
All News

> Culture

“Tehran” creator Dana Eden is the Israeli found dead in an Athens Hotel – “Murder claims are false”

The production company’s statement on rumors of foul play – Police believe it was suicide after a large number of pills were found in her room – She was in Athens for the series’ filming

February 16, 2026

Do the Orthodox also have a Valentine’s Day? Who were Aquila and Priscilla

February 13, 2026

Mind the Greeks: Bringing Greek knowledge to the world stage

February 11, 2026

“Saint Paisios” tops the Greek Box Office, “Kapodistrias” in 2nd place

February 11, 2026

“Astoria”: The new major production of the Pallas Theatre on Greek migration to New York

February 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα