×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Friday
20
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 15°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Mali: At least 32 killed in attack blamed on jihadists

The gunmen opened fire on a convoy of civilian vehicles escorted by the army and mercenaries of the Russian company Wagner in northern Mali

Newsroom February 9 10:52

 

Jihadists have killed at least 32 people by opening fire on a convoy of civilian vehicles escorted by the army and mercenaries from the Russian company Wagner in northern Mali, where the armed forces said yesterday Saturday that they were pursuing “the terrorists” who carried out the attack.

The raid on several dozen vehicles took place Friday in Combe, about thirty kilometers from the city of Gao, an area often torn by violence where armed forces have repeatedly conducted anti-jihadist operations.

In a statement last Saturday night, the Joint Chiefs of Staff called it an action by a “group of multiple terrorists.”

During fighting, “hidden terrorists deliberately targeted civilian passengers” of vehicles, according to the staff, in which three vehicles were hit, resulting in the “deaths of 25 civilians” and the injury of 13 others, “the majority of them young foreign gold miners” who were traveling to a gold mine in Gao.

The Malian armed forces “are pursuing the terrorists, perpetrators of the attack on the convoy”. Clearance operations allowed the discovery of “19 bodies of terrorists who had been abandoned” as well as weapons, according to the same source.

Earlier yesterday, an account given by a local elected official, on condition of anonymity, spoke of “32 dead” both “citizens” and “military personnel.”

This account was confirmed by a source at a French News Agency non-governmental organization operating in the area.

“Jihadists ambushed on Friday between Gao and Ansogo” (north) against “a convoy of civilian vehicles escorted by Mali soldiers and (Russian) mercenaries from Wagner,” another local official, also speaking on condition of anonymity, told AFP earlier.

A survivor, with a head wound, said he saw gunmen“firing at the convoy from two sides”and “many dead police and soldiers.”

A transport sector trade unionist in Mali, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that “according to a transporter who escaped, jihadists ambushed the convoy and started shooting at everyone indiscriminately to cause the maximum number of casualties.”

According to an elected official in northern Mali, at the time of the attack, members of the NDF and Wagner mercenaries were riding in “more than ten vehicles” and were tasked with “guaranteeing the passage of civilians”who were traveling in “22 minibuses, six large buses and eight trucks.”

“At least five trucks were destroyed by Islamic State (IS) jihadists”(IS), he added.

There has been no claim of responsibility for the attack at this stage.

The Ansogo-Gao road axis in northern Mali has in recent months become a theater of repeated attacks attributed to jihadists or gangs robbing civilians.

In early January, the Malian army announced that it had captured a “first-ranking leader” of the Islamic State in the Greater Sahara (ISIS) group and killed his fighters during an operation in the Gao region.

The staff presented the arrested man, whom it named as Abu Has, as“a long-sought terrorist known to intelligence agencies for his responsibility and coordination of many of the worst atrocities and abuses against populations in Menaka and Gao prefectures and attacks against the IDF.”

>Related articles

What the peoples are proud of: Greeks proud of history, Italians proud of culture and Turks proud of their patriotism

Peace Council underway: Possible deal with Iran in 10 days, says Trump (video)

Russia offers a $12 trillion package to the US in exchange for the lifting of sanctions

Since 2012, Mali remains mired in a serious security crisis, caused mainly by the activities of organizations swearing allegiance to either Al Qaeda or the IC, as well as gangs of thugs.

The country of Sahel is ruled by a military junta, following two coups in 2020 and 2021. After they took power, the military ended the country’s historic alliance with former colonial power France and turned to Russia for political and military support.

The ongoing jihadist attacks call into question the junta’s rhetoric, which asserts that its breakthrough strategy and new alliances and the escalation of military operations have reversed the trend in the fight against jihadists.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#attack#islam#jihadists#Mali#muslims#wagner#world
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Maria Menounos: The revealing dress she wore on her trip to Greece – see photos

February 20, 2026

Eric Dane: The life and legacy of the ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ star who died of ALS at 53

February 20, 2026

Attica storm alert: Kolydas warns of heavy rain starting after 7 pm

February 20, 2026

Politico: Trump threatens Europe with retaliation if it does not buy US weapons

February 20, 2026

Iron Maiden and Metallica concerts boost the demand for “Airbnb” in Athens in May

February 20, 2026

Eleni Glykatzi – Arveler: Today the last farewell in the Metropolis of Athens (updated)

February 20, 2026

The “little Venice” of Greece with the stone arched bridges and the great maritime history

February 20, 2026

Brad Pitt relaxed and smiling in Hydra for his new movie – See videos and photos

February 20, 2026
All News

> World

Politico: Trump threatens Europe with retaliation if it does not buy US weapons

Reason for the US government's reaction to the discussion of a "buy European" clause in the arms plans of European countries

February 20, 2026

Prince Andrew released – Leaves the police station visibly shaken, see the first photo of the disgraced prince

February 19, 2026

“I love him, leave him alone, don’t call him a racist”: An African-American woman defended Trump and praised him at the White House

February 19, 2026

Peace Council underway: Possible deal with Iran in 10 days, says Trump (video)

February 19, 2026

Russia offers a $12 trillion package to the US in exchange for the lifting of sanctions

February 19, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα