×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Tuesday
19
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 17°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> Greece

The fire in Kythera is out of control – evacuations, damage to villages and dramatic calls for air support

"Half the island has been burnt down", says the deputy mayor - The flames have already destroyed houses, beehives, olive groves and farmland

Newsroom July 27 09:14

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

 

The fire front in Kythera remains out of control, as the large fire that broke out Saturday morning continues to burn areas of the island. Since the early hours of Sunday morning, a new evacuation warning message was sent via the emergency number “112” for the areas of Venetsianika and Pitsinades, heading towards Livadi, while residents and authorities remain on red alert.

Firefighting operations under suffocating conditions

According to the fire brigade, 34 firefighters with 15 vehicles are operating in the area, supported by 14 people in foot patrols. Three helicopters and two aircraft have been making drops since dawn, but strong and constantly changing winds are hampering their work. Residents are making constant calls for more air assets, complaining of a delay in yesterday’s drops.

“Half the island has been burned”

The seriousness of the situation has been confirmed by local authorities. The deputy mayor of Kythera, George Komninos, spoke of an unprecedented ecological and social disaster. “Half of the island has been burned,” he said, describing in dramatic tones the extent of the damage. As he stressed, the fire started near the Kythera Hospital and followed almost the same route as in 2017, but this year causing incomparably greater destruction.

Disasters in villages, crops and tourist areas

According to the data so far, severe damage has been recorded in at least three villages, and logging crews are expected to accurately record the losses. The flames have already destroyed houses, beehives, olive groves and agricultural forests. Melidoni beach, known for its tourist traffic, has also been severely damaged.

>Related articles

France: More than 1,000 cars burned on New Year’s Eve

Tragedy in Hong Kong: 36 dead and 279 missing after skyscraper fire

Controlled fires in November to avoid summer wildfires — What’s changing in forest protection

Danger to monasteries and residential areas

The deputy mayor warned of the risk of destroying a historic monastery if firefighting operations are not immediately stepped up. Despite Saturday’s efforts, he noted that the lack of a continuous air presence allowed for a resurgence. “The canopies came in, made drops for an hour and left. Then the fire got away,” he said, stressing that the winds were constantly changing direction, driving the fire even into virgin areas.

Threat to human lives

The possibility that human lives could be at risk is becoming a nightmare scenario.“If firefighting is not immediately stepped up, people will be burned as well,” Komnenos warned, making an urgent call for reinforcement of forces. He said westerly winds are expected to intensify, which could drive the fire into residential areas.

Tourism is also under threat

So far there has been no mass exodus of tourists, but the situation is fluid. The mayor of Kythera believes that if the fire front is not quickly brought under control, the island is at risk of a total tourist disaster.“If the fire is not contained, everyone will leave,” he said anxiously.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#fires#Kythera
> More Greece

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

The sister of Ireland’s president is among the Gaza activists arrested by Israel

May 18, 2026

Trump is threatening again: No concessions to Tehran – They know what will happen

May 18, 2026

Polakis: I was and will always be SYRIZA, it’s a joke to be an independent MP

May 18, 2026

Kyriakos Mitsotakis at the General Assembly of the Association of Greek Tourism Enterprises (SETE)

May 18, 2026

Taiwan excluded from the WHO Annual General Assembly at the request of China

May 18, 2026

Deviation from the EU over the non-recognition of the Pontic Genocide, says Nikitas Kaklamanis

May 18, 2026

Gradual reopening of the Strait of Hormuz with roles for Pakistan, Oman, and a “freeze” of the nuclear program: What Tehran is requesting in its revised proposal to the US

May 18, 2026

Eleni Avlonitou has left SYRIZA, heading to the Tsipras party

May 18, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα