×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
18
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 21°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Von der Leyen: Europe has detailed plans for sending military forces to Ukraine, with U.S. presence as well

In an interview with the Financial Times, she explained that the plan concerns security guarantees in post-war Ukraine

Newsroom August 31 09:51

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

The European Union is working on “very detailed plans” for possible deployments of military forces to Ukraine, as part of security guarantees for post-war Ukraine—guarantees that will have the full backing of U.S. capabilities—said European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen in an interview with the Financial Times published today.

“President Trump assured us that there will be an American presence as part of the security mechanism,” von der Leyen told the FT, adding that “this was very clear and repeatedly confirmed.”

The deployment is expected to potentially involve tens of thousands of troops under European leadership, with U.S. support, including command and control systems as well as intelligence and surveillance assets, the report said. It added that the agreement was reached during last month’s meeting between U.S. President Donald Trump, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, and European leaders.

European leaders, including German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte, and von der Leyen, will meet in Paris next Thursday at the invitation of French President Emmanuel Macron to continue high-level discussions on Ukraine, the FT reported, citing three diplomats briefed on the plans.


Majority of Ukrainians want a ceasefire

The majority of Ukrainians appear to support a ceasefire—but only if clear security guarantees are provided, according to a poll.

Of the 1,600 Ukrainians surveyed, 75% consider security guarantees from Europe and the U.S. a prerequisite for ending hostilities, according to the Ukrainian Rating Group poll.

Amid U.S. President Donald Trump’s efforts to pursue ceasefire talks, discussions are focusing on Ukraine’s calls for reliable security guarantees designed to deter Russia from launching a new attack on its neighbor in the future, should a peace agreement be reached.

According to the poll, 82% of respondents believe negotiations are a realistic path to ending the war. Of these, 62% support involving other countries to help reach a compromise, while 20% favor direct negotiations with Moscow.

>Related articles

Papastavrou: With Trump’s post, the US President recognizes Mitsotakis’ energy policy

Jury failed to reach a verdict: Harvey Weinstein trial ends in mistrial

Dendias sends stern message over Ukrainian drone: “We are owed clear explanations, it endangered maritime safety”

Among participants, 59% support ending hostilities and pursuing a compromise, while 20% say they want the war to continue until the Donbas region and the Crimean peninsula are fully regained.

Only 13% support a return to the borders prior to Russia’s invasion on February 23, 2022, which would exclude Crimea and Donbas.

The Ukrainian Rating Group survey was conducted with a sample of 1,600 people in Ukraine between August 21 and 23.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#European Commission#ukraine#US#Von der Leyen
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Kyriakos Mitsotakis at the General Assembly of the Association of Greek Tourism Enterprises (SETE)

May 18, 2026

Taiwan excluded from the WHO Annual General Assembly at the request of China

May 18, 2026

Deviation from the EU over the non-recognition of the Pontic Genocide, says Nikitas Kaklamanis

May 18, 2026

Gradual reopening of the Strait of Hormuz with roles for Pakistan, Oman, and a “freeze” of the nuclear program: What Tehran is requesting in its revised proposal to the US

May 18, 2026

Eleni Avlonitou has left SYRIZA, heading to the Tsipras party

May 18, 2026

Tommy Olsen of the NGO Aegean Boat Report who was arrested in Norway for criminal organisation will not be extradited to Greece

May 18, 2026

The Samaria Gorge opens for visitors

May 18, 2026

The warning signs of collapsing adolescent mental health that go unnoticed – The tragedy in Ilioupoli that shocked the country

May 18, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα