×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Thursday
19
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 16°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Bloomberg: Erdogan in the US for a $10 billion deal for Boeing planes, Lockheed Martin fighters and co-production in Turkey

Ankara seeks Trump's approval for co-production of US fighter and aircraft parts, new F-16s and possible re-entry into the F-35 programme

Newsroom September 23 09:43

 

Turkey‘s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is planning a multi-billion dollar deal with the US to supply hundreds of Boeing aircraft and Lockheed Martin fighters, while claiming the right to produce some of the parts in Turkey.

According to information cited by Bloomberg, Ankara wants to offset payments of more than $10 billion with industrial co-production contracts, which, however, require the approval of US President Donald Trump. The Turkish president will be at the White House on Thursday for a crucial meeting in an attempt to repair strained relations after the purchase of Russia’s S-400 system.

The S-400 “shadow” and the F-35 blockade

The purchase of the Russian missiles had led to a stalemate in relations with Washington, which imposed CAATSA sanctions on Turkey’s defence sector and excluded the country from the F-35 development program. Although Ankara refuses to give up the S-400, it hopes Trump will agree to an amendment to the sanctions, paving the way for the acquisition of 40 F-35A fighters.

Erdogan said yesterday, moreover, that he will negotiate the acquisition of F-35 fighter jets when he meets his US counterpart Donald Trump this week.

Speaking on Fox News’ “Special Report,” Erdogan was asked if he was looking forward to a green light for the F-35 acquisition during his visit to Washington, where he will meet with Trump on Thursday.

“At this stage we will negotiate again on this issue. We expect that the US will also do what it has to do – both on the F-35 and on the issue of the F-16 and its production and maintenance,” the Turkish president said.

Such a development could also lift the suspension of cooperation with 10 Turkish companies that were to manufacture F-35 components, with an estimated production volume of $12 billion. Among them, Turkish Aerospace Industries, which had been contracted to produce the central fuselage section.

>Related articles

Mitsotakis meets top AI leaders in New Delhi: gov.gr and accessibility at the center

Guardian: Trump administration plans to build a 5,000-strong military base in Gaza

Incidents at Nikaia Hospital – Georgiadis: “My physical integrity was at risk – The violence of KKE and ANTARSYA cannot prevail”

Agreement on new F-16s and equipment packages

Meanwhile, Ankara is seeking to complete the purchase of 40 latest-generation F-16 Vipers, along with hundreds of missiles, bombs and spare engines. Washington had approved the sale last year after Turkey ratified Sweden’s membership of NATO. Initially, the plan called for 79 upgrade kits for existing F-16s at a total cost of $23 billion, but Ankara is reportedly turning again to acquiring F-35s.

Turkey currently has about 240 F-16 fighters, the world’s second largest fleet after the US. The procurement of new aircraft will allow for the gradual retirement of the older F-4s until the indigenous Kaan fighter is deployed.

Ankara is also seeking US permission to procure and assemble GE Aerospace’s F110 and F404 engines, which are used in both US fighters and the Turkish Kaan and Hurjet programs. So far, Washington has not responded to the request, which could accelerate production of US engines given increased international demand.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Boeing#CAATSA#diplomacy#f-16#F-35#Lockheed Martin#meeting#politics#President Donald Trump#Recep Tayyip Erdogan#S-400#usa#world
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Radar fault at Athens Airport restored after causing flight delays

February 19, 2026

At least three dead and 10 injured after a truck carrying gas explodes in Chile

February 19, 2026

Mitsotakis meets top AI leaders in New Delhi: gov.gr and accessibility at the center

February 19, 2026

Guardian: Trump administration plans to build a 5,000-strong military base in Gaza

February 19, 2026

Greek Community of Toronto: Euro 2004 – “King Otto”; the story of how two contrasting cultures came together to speak the same language

February 19, 2026

Hydra turns into Hollywood as sets begin to take shape for the film starring Brad Pitt – The actor is expected on the island tomorrow

February 19, 2026

Technical problem in radar at “Eleftherios Venizelos”

February 19, 2026

Apostolos Spyropoulos levels harsh accusations at his family over winery auctions: “I was alone, and all of you were against me”

February 19, 2026
All News

> Greece

Radar fault at Athens Airport restored after causing flight delays

The problem resulted in delays in departures and arrivals at Athens airport

February 19, 2026

Technical problem in radar at “Eleftherios Venizelos”

February 19, 2026

Apostolos Spyropoulos levels harsh accusations at his family over winery auctions: “I was alone, and all of you were against me”

February 19, 2026

Ministry of Education: Public consultation on the bill for the establishment of a Higher School of Performing Arts

February 19, 2026

Urgent Weather Alert until Saturday afternoon for storms and hail – When the bad weather will hit Attica

February 19, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα