×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Friday
21
Aug 2026
weather symbol
Athens 32°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

After the tampered video, Trump demands an apology and the withdrawal of the documentary from the BBC – He threatens with a 1 billion dollar lawsuit

One of the biggest crises in the history of the British public broadcaster – Trump sent a letter to the network

Newsroom November 10 05:21

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

A serious credibility crisis is shaking the BBC, after the resignations of director-general Tim Davie and head of news Deborah Turness, following revelations that the documentary “Panorama” misled the public with an altered version of U.S. president Donald Trump’s speech.

The affair has triggered a political storm in Britain, with the government, the opposition, and the media asking for explanations on how the public broadcaster handled the matter.

Trump’s letter and threat of legal action

According to the BBC, the U.S. president sent a letter to the organization in which he threatens legal action over the misleading presentation of his speech. The BBC confirmed it had received the letter and stated it “will respond in due course.”

Trump had already attacked the BBC on the Truth Social platform, accusing it of tampering with his January 6, 2021 speech and calling the organization’s journalists corrupt.

The “edited” video that triggered the firestorm

The BBC was accused of cutting and stitching together fragments of Trump’s speech in order to make it appear as if he was directly calling for violent action on the day protesters stormed the Capitol.

In reality, the Panorama program had combined phrases from different parts of the speech, removing the part where Trump told his supporters to proceed “peacefully and patriotically.”

The incident generated more than 500 viewer complaints, as well as strong criticism from Washington, while Trump spokesperson Karoline Leavitt described it as “deliberate disinformation” and “100% fake news.”

Resignations and political reactions

Tim Davie and Deborah Turness resigned, taking “responsibility for the mistakes that were made,” as they said.

The developments are also connected to the leak of a memo by former adviser Michael Prescott, who spoke of a series of journalistic irregularities on various issues, from the war in Gaza to the coverage of Trump.

Culture Secretary Lisa Nandy announced that she will proceed with a revision of the BBC’s Royal Charter and a review of its funding model, while making clear that “the need for reliable information is more critical today than ever.”

The head of Britain’s publicly-funded broadcaster and its top news executive resigned today after days of pressure over its coverage of Donald Trump. https://t.co/OWHdiEdV9v

— POLITICOEurope (@POLITICOEurope) November 9, 2025

The government’s stance and Farage’s comments

The British prime minister’s spokesperson said he “does not consider the BBC institutionally biased,” but urged it to act transparently and swiftly when mistakes are made.

Nigel Farage, Trump ally and leader of Reform UK, warned that “if the BBC does not restore its credibility, thousands of citizens will refuse to pay the licence fee.”

>Related articles

Nancy Kissinger, wife of late US Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, dies at 92

Oil: New Brent rally above $93 amid Trump’s economic war on Iran

Reuters: Turkey and Iran’s other eight trading partners threatened by Trump’s “D-Day”

Public broadcaster credibility at the center

The scandal brings the BBC face to face with one of the biggest crises in its history. The erosion of public trust, as the chair of the Culture Committee Caroline Dinenage noted, is directly linked to the debate over the future of public funding for the organization.

The political storm that broke out after Panorama’s mistake shows that the BBC is now called upon to regain its credibility at a time when disinformation and political polarization threaten public information.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#BBC#bias#Democrats#january 6th#journalism#left#left-wing#Liberals#President Donald Trump#UK#usa#woke#wokeness#world
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Former Abercrombie & Fitch chief executive ruled fit for trial despite Alzheimer’s claims

August 21, 2026

Passengers save bus carrying 50 people in Sweden after driver loses consciousness (video)

August 21, 2026

Global trend for online fame puts lives at risk across Greece

August 21, 2026

Israeli PM Netanyahu brands Turkish President Erdogan ‘antisemitic dictator’ after Interpol arrest warrant

August 21, 2026

Fire on Lemnos prompts evacuation of two villages as 59 residents rescued by sea

August 21, 2026

Prince Harry, Elton John and others ordered to pay Daily Mail £9.5 million by August 28 after losing privacy battle

August 21, 2026

Turkey seeks Interpol “red notice” for Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu over Gaza flotilla interception

August 21, 2026

“Scorching” final week of August: Temperatures will exceed 40°C in places — where the heat will be most intense

August 21, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα