×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
16
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 13°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

The United States drastically cuts humanitarian spending abroad, to $2 billion in 2026 from $17 billion in 2022

The US has dramatically reduced its spending on third country funding through the UN this year, leading Western donors such as Germany to also cut aid.

Newsroom December 29 09:30

The United States has committed to providing two billion dollars in humanitarian aid to the United Nations, a State Department official said today, following the significant cuts to foreign aid carried out in 2025 by the Trump administration.

The U.S. sharply reduced its funding for third countries this year, prompting Western donors such as Germany to also move toward cuts in aid, as they shifted their focus to increasing defense spending. This has resulted in a major funding shortfall for the United Nations.

No details were disclosed regarding how the U.S. funds will be allocated or whether additional commitments will follow.

United Nations data show that overall U.S. contributions to the UN’s humanitarian needs fell to approximately $3.38 billion in 2025, accounting for about 14.8% of the total.

>Related articles

Greece signs agreements with Chevron for Hydrocarbons in Crete and the Peloponnese in the presence of Mitsotakis

Politico on the Munich Conference: Europe is spending more on defense and can stand up to the US

Munich Conference formalizes the rift: Rubio cancels last-minute Ukraine meeting – “We must free ourselves from dependence on the US,” say Merz & Macron

This amount dropped steeply from $14.1 billion the previous year and from a peak of $17.2 billion in 2022.

Earlier in December, the United Nations issued an appeal for $23 billion in aid for 2026 in order to reach 87 million people at risk—about half of the $47 billion requested for 2025—reflecting reduced donor support despite global needs being at record levels.

UN humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher said the UN’s humanitarian response is overstretched and underfunded, meaning that “tough choices” had to be made to prioritize those most in need.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#humanitarian aid#UN#United Nations#United States#US#usa
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Pierarakis: Eleni Glykatzi-Arveler was the most tangible proof of the power generated by dedication to knowledge

February 16, 2026

The execution of the 200 in Kaisariani by German occupation forces: The stories and relics of the fallen

February 16, 2026

St. Peter’s Basilica Square to fully open to the public, café to double in size, real-time booking system to be introduced

February 16, 2026

Over 70 non-governmental organisations oppose the European migration reform plan

February 16, 2026

The great Byzantinologist Eleni Glykatzi-Arveler died at the age of 99

February 16, 2026

Alexis Tsipras presents “Ithaki” in Larissa today

February 16, 2026

Greece–Turkey in “calm waters” until the elections, following the Mitsotakis–Erdogan meeting in Ankara

February 16, 2026

Kilauea Volcano erupted again: the lava jets reached 400 metres, see video

February 16, 2026
All News

> Greece

The great Byzantinologist Eleni Glykatzi-Arveler died at the age of 99

She was the first female rector at the Sorbonne, with a rich literary output

February 16, 2026

Alexis Tsipras presents “Ithaki” in Larissa today

February 16, 2026

Taxis tomorrow (17/2): Drivers’ strike in Attica through Thursday

February 16, 2026

Nikos Plakias speaks to Protothema: The pressure, xylene, Karystianou, and the last photo of the girls from inside the train

February 16, 2026

Second wave of acquisitions in education: Foreign funds now investing in private schools across Greece’s regions

February 16, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα