×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Thursday
21
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 19°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Cable car accident in Italy: Four injured, 100 passengers trapped at 2,800 meters

According to initial assessments, the cabin did not slow down properly as it entered the station and crashed into the fixed safety barrier

Newsroom December 30 05:11

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Four people were injured on Tuesday morning (30/12) in an accident involving a cable car in Macugnaga, in the province of Verbano-Cusio-Ossola in Italy’s Piedmont region.

According to Italian media, four people—three passengers and one operator—were injured when the cable car cabin reached the station at excessive speed.

Initial assessments indicate that the cabin failed to decelerate normally as it entered the station and struck the fixed safety bar.

❌ Macugnaga (VB), intervento #vigilidelfuoco, con @cnsas_official e @GDF, in corso dalle 11:30 per un incidente a due cabine della Funivia Al Moro: feriti il manovratore a valle e 3 dei 15 passeggeri a monte. In azione 2 elicotteri Drago per l’evacuazione di persone bloccate in… pic.twitter.com/6cI1H6RWY4

— Vigili del Fuoco (@vigilidelfuoco) December 30, 2025

“A technical problem occurred. From the first indications, it appears that the system did not slow down correctly upon entering the station and the cabin hit the protective barrier,” Filippo Besozzi, CEO of Macugnaga Trasporti e Servizi, the company responsible for operating the cable car, told the Italian news agency ANSA.

>Related articles

What does it mean that the Patriarch of Constantinople is “Ecumenical”?

From Vinyl to Streaming: The playlist generations without a “musical identity”

Archbishop Simeon: We are confident that Egypt is making every effort to ensure that Mount Sinai continues its eternal course unhindered

He added that none of the injured are in critical condition. “Fortunately, there are no seriously injured people and no one’s life is in danger. From a medical standpoint, a total of six people were involved. The most serious case concerns a 59-year-old with an arm injury, while the others suffered minor abrasions,” he said.

Referring to the causes of the accident, Besozzi explained that the braking system “did not function properly and the emergency systems were activated.” As he noted, the cable car does not appear to have sustained serious damage, but thorough technical inspections will follow.

The evacuation operation was completed shortly before 14:45, when all of the approximately 100 people who had been stranded in the Passo del Moro area at an altitude of about 2,800 meters—after the cable car was shut down due to the accident—were safely evacuated. All passengers were transported safely back to the base station.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#accident#italy#world
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

What does it mean that the Patriarch of Constantinople is “Ecumenical”?

May 21, 2026

From Vinyl to Streaming: The playlist generations without a “musical identity”

May 21, 2026

Mitsotakis at the Palace of the Despots in Mystras: Culture is a chain of our national strength

May 21, 2026

Archbishop Simeon: We are confident that Egypt is making every effort to ensure that Mount Sinai continues its eternal course unhindered

May 21, 2026

The Kremlin is open to dialogue with the Europeans on the war in Ukraine

May 21, 2026

Alexandros Giotopoulos, the leader of the 17 November organization who had been sentenced to life imprisonment, was released after 24 years in prison

May 21, 2026

Henry Nowak: Student killed in knife attack as two-tier policing questions grow in murder trial

May 21, 2026

Rubio: US-Iran deal is “unfeasible” if tolls are imposed on the Strait of Hormuz

May 21, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα